🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A Great Story in a Game?

Started by
8 comments, last by frobber 22 years ago
Hello -- this is my first posting here, although I should have bothered to find this place a long time ago! For years I''ve been wondering if a great story could be told in a game. Storytelling is widely recognized as an important element of the game-playing experience -- but is it possible for the story to rise above this hand maiden status? This road for me started when I began playing Thief: The Dark Project. A friend used to work for Looking Glass Studios, and he highly recommended the game. A couple of years later, I''ve already created two of my own Thief "missions" and I''m working on a third. But before I went too far, I really wanted to combine an understanding of my two great vocational passions -- design and writing (which is what creating games seems to be all about -- with a large dab of computer science tossed in). And when this sort of thing hits me I tend to write about it as clearly as I can. My notes have been online for nearly two years, and recently a screenwriting school started using them as part of their curricula. Cool, but that was not my intended audience. I really wanted to help out those struggling to apply storytelling theory to games (myself included). And so that is why I''m here. I am not an expert -- I don''t think anyone is yet on this topic. But I''d like to offer you what I''ve written so far, and by all means accept whatever comments and critiques you may have to offer in return. Together, we can figure this out. Here are the URLS... http://edanet.com/thief/story1.html http://edanet.com/thief/story2.html http://edanet.com/thief/story3.html http://edanet.com/thief/story4.html http://edanet.com/thief/story5.html http://edanet.com/thief/story6.html http://edanet.com/thief/story7.html
Advertisement
I''m afraid I don''t have any direct feedback, yet, but I find the subject interesting.

I''ve never had a reason to hurl in disgust at a movie before

I was wondering, since you mentioned Aristotle did work on story structure... I''ve had ideas for short stories myself, usually having to deal with the individual struggles and resolutions of personal development. So my question is, are there any books or articles that in your mind have had the greatest impact on your impressions of a proper story structure?

I certainly can''t argue with anything you''ve said already. I''ve only read a few sections of it so far, but I plan to dive deeper into it.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Waverider -- Here''s a place to start...

Aristotle, Poetics. S. H. Butcher, ed. (Dover, 1997)

Then try...

David Mamet, Three Uses of the Knife: On the Nature and Purpose of Drama. (Vintage Books, 2000)

I''d also borrow a few screenwriting books from the library (any will do for now) -- not because you would ever try this -- but because it is one of the most compressed of the established storytelling forms. And that sort of brevity is good practice for any dramatic writing -- and the closet thing to writing for games.
Shanksh
Cool.

BTW, while we''re on the subject of articles on writing, if anyone would like to check out my article and make comments, I''d be much obliged.

I think stories can take a more prominent role in games. That is, good stories. However, the sheer nature of certain games makes it difficult in some cases.

At the same time, though, not all games should need a story. Puzzle games, for example, or arcade games - what would you write for Tetris? Learning to recognise where adding a story makes things worse is probably an important skill...

I love games with deep stories - not just central plotlines, but stories that sit behind everything. For example, Riven.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote: Original post by frobber
My notes have been online for nearly two years, and recently a screenwriting school started using them as part of their curricula. Cool, but that was not my intended audience. I really wanted to help out those struggling to apply storytelling theory to games (myself included).

No offense, but the reason your notes are being used by a film class is because (from what I read) they apply more to screenwritting than to game design. That isn''t to say what you''ve written doesn''t apply to games, especially ones with linear storylines, but a game is a lot more than just a good story. Like Superpig said, it''s perfectly acceptable to have a game without any story at all, and most games (outside of computer, video and roleplaying games) don''t really have stories or even a setting (purely abstract.) I think stories play an important role in games, but I think dynamic, interactive stories and worlds are a lot more important than writting a linear screenplay (why not just make a movie then?)
There are various levels of storytelling in a game, though.

There is a backstory to Quake 2, but it really isn't necessary at all.

There is a backstory to Half-life, and to me it made it all interesting. When the scientist said the military had finally arrived and ran over to greet them, and got wasted, my heart started pounding.

Adventure stories seem to require backstories, otherwise they just become random exploration with puzzles and encounters. It might just be enough to say "Fiend Lord Bob has taken control of the Central Crystal and is defiling the land. He can only be defeated with the Sword of Aluminum, but it has been split into three pieces... blah blah blah"

I was designing an adventure for D&D and wanted to involve a fiend, greater wizard and lesser wizard. The characters would encounter the lesser wizard first, and see him being commanded by the fiend. Once the lesser wizard is defeated, they find out the fiend was actually just taking advantage of the lesser wizard and was actually working with his older brother, the greater wizard. How much this was actually going to play into the challenges the characters faced, I hadn't yet figured out. But it just added some character to the story instead of just "defeat wizard A, defeat his boss, destroy where the boss came from, etc. etc."

Some games would be bogged down by a deep story. I do agree that too much story and not enough player immersion would be a bad thing. BUT... a gripping, nicely integrated story that involves the player and doesn't feel like a forced linear progression would be a treasure. And any good story needs a reasonable structure.

[edited by - Waverider on June 19, 2002 2:39:25 PM]
I agree than many very entertaining games do just fine without a big story (or any story, in some cases). It''s not my point that every game should tell a story. I''m just wondering if a great story could be told within an interactive gaming-like venue if we were to attempt this (without, of course, ruining the gaming experience, or better -- enhancing it).

Screenwriting is my jumping-off point, since it''s just about the closest standardized writing form to what I believe we would need to write a great story for a game -- just as how stage play writing was once the jumping-off point for screenwriting.

Lastly, I may actually be arguing for some sort of "new" art form that is not quite a linear story and not quite a game -- but some sort of blended amalgam of both. In fact I see this as inevitable given the overall trend of media and art form convergence.
Yeah, I have been thinking about how to implement a decent dynamic story system for a while, and I''ve concluded that, at this point at least, it''s more of a game design and technical challenge than it is a writting challenge. That isn''t to say writters aren''t important, but game writting (for dynamic\nonlinear stories) has to be done in a different way than screen writting. There was a thread on this a few days ago, pretty interesting stuff (even though I don''t think we came to any conclusions.)
In adventure game, the story often plays a vital part in the actual playing of the game.

For example, if the player has a stick and a rock, and knows that ''100,000 years ago, the Saving Light was summoned by a guy banging a stick on a rock,'' they''re going to know to bang the stick on the rock.

Now, if the ''100,000 years....blah'' could be significantly improved, then it''d create a very immersive game - or at least, a game where you''d have to immerse yourself to win.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement