🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Computer RPG's

Started by
8 comments, last by deadlydog 22 years ago
How come there are no good classic, turn-based RPG''s for the computer. Sure there''s things like Daggerfall, Dungeons and Dragons, Return to Krondor, etc. But how come there aren''t any games like Crono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Shining Force, Lenend of Mana, etc.? Sure there actually is some of the Final Fantasies for computer, but how come they have to rip off other platforms games, and can''t come up with something similar themselves? The one game that has come close is Septara Core, although I did not particularly like that game because the battles were long and tedious. Computer game developers seem to be too wrapped up on trying to make 3D RPG''s, which all end up sucking. Granted, some of the 3D graphics are very good, but in most cases the graphics are poor, and so is the game itself. I personally like 2D graphics for RGP''s. I would rather have an awesome looking 2D game, than a poor looking 3D game any day. I even quite enjoy the mixed 2D and 3D RPG''s, such as Mario RPG, and Dragon Warrior 7. Why can''t some computer developers come out with some simple SNES like RPG''s. Everybody knows those are the best ones. I guess I''m just bitter because there haven''t been any good RPG''s out lately for any system really. He who laughs, lasts
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
Advertisement
agree. RPG is used to be my favorite. I still can remember I was playing an RPG game called Ishar from 5AM. I woke up that early just to play the game longer. Today''s RPG games are not good. Most of them are even action-like RPG. I disagree a little bit with you with the 3D because I think the 3D part is not that bad. But, I like seeing 2D bitmap faces than 3D polygon faces.

My compiler generates one error message: "Doesn''t compile."
-Albert Tedja-
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
Well, 3D is currently the "IN" thing for just about every genre of game development. Fortunately, I think you''ll find plenty of developers (both amateur and professional) who don''t think that a great game must be 3D. Unfortunately, marketers and retailers tend to believe that only games with the latest and greatest graphics will sell well. Even worse, it tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy as hordes of people always seem to run out to buy the latest flashy, over-hyped new release regardless of the quality of the game as a whole.

So, that said, there''s actually a thriving market for more "traditional" RPGs with great stories but graphics that many would consider sub-par by the latest standards. Ask around these forums and maybe you''ll find a team looking for someone else to help out, or if you have a cool idea, why not try to start it yourself.

I think the world could use many more well-written, well-designed games with 2D graphics!

--Roderick Smith
--Roderick Smith
It is not that I do not like 3D graphics, it''s that I hate when they try and do 3D characters. All of them just end up looking like a block with stuff painted on them, such as faces and clothes and whatnot. It just looks crappy. I would sooner prefer a 2D character that they can do right to a 3D character that just looks crappy.

He who laughs, lasts
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
Not here to say much except that I agree.

Just picked up septera core today, here''s hoping I''ll finish it.
But I guess fallout had a system kind of like that, if limited options, as did the early ultimas.
ummm...
As has been said I think the publishers still look for the high impact visuals and sound, but then they are trying to make money, and most of it in the first few weeks of release. It takes time for word about the ''good'' games to get around and by then the hackers have them ripped appart so the revenues die.

Oh the up side there are a good few of us independants that are working on RPGs/Sims etc that we hope bring back the game play. Many (like my own) are still in the early stages but some have playable systems in place.

If we can keep focused on the projets with look the next year will see a good dozen or so that Ive looked over getting to a pretty good release stage.

Regards
BaelWrathIf it is not nailed down it's mine and if I can prise it loose,it's not nailed down!
quote: Original post by deadlydog
How come there are no good classic, turn-based RPG''s for the computer. Sure there''s things like Daggerfall, Dungeons and Dragons, Return to Krondor, etc. But how come there aren''t any games like Crono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Shining Force, Lenend of Mana, etc.?

Sure there actually is some of the Final Fantasies for computer, but how come they have to rip off other platforms games, and can''t come up with something similar themselves?

How come there''s nothing like Daggerfall for the SNES? And since you use the term ''rip off'', why is it that so many of the games you talk about seem to look and play almost identically?

And just which game is "Dungeons and Dragons"? (Hint: there are probably about 20 Dungeons and Dragons games. I own 14 of them, not including the more recent Baldurs Gate series or Neverwinter Nights.)

RPGs are much more popular in Japan. The animé style of art is much more popular in Japan. In the early 90s, game consoles were much more popular in Japan (compared to home computers). Therefore is it all that surprising that most of the animé style RPGs are made for consoles or in console style? There''s a good reason why Might and Magic, Wizardry, and Ultima had so many sequels - computer gamers want that kind of game.

It''s just a case of different culture, different audience, different developers. It''s obvious you prefer one kind of game to another, but that doesn''t mean that people who don''t make the games you like are somehow lacking in inspiration.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
Technically, 2D can be done easier than 3D, but regarding the artistic side, not. So nobody wants to spend a lot of resources to make a game that doesn''t even make use of the main platform feature: 3D acceleration (be it a console or a PC).
This is kind of an interesting article about selling online...

http://www.adrenalinevault.com/developer/getarticle.asp?name=bwardell10
ummm...
I love 2D and even Text RPGs. My favourites are the old D&D games, such as Champions of Krynn and Eye of the Beholder (it does belong to D&D, right?), and DRAGON WARRIOR (the original). Those games are so cool. I''m actually making my own text RPG right now, so check up on me some time if you want a classic-style gaming experience.
Check out Drunken Brawl at http://www.angelfire.com/games6/drunken_brawl!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement