🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

One more of my many questions

Started by
1 comment, last by Strife10110 22 years ago
Is it possible to get a job as a game writer or do you have to become a designer and still learn everything??
Advertisement
pffff.... it''s difficult. Not many people appreciate what a dedicated game writer will mean in the long run (i.e. a strong storyline). It will certainly help you, career-wise, if you get some game design skills as well ("come for the design, stay for the writing" ).

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

You really can''t just jump into the biz with a degree and expect to land a job as a game writer.

I assume you mean game writer as in the writer of the dialogue? Because there''s no such thing as a pure game designer. I''ve never heard of companies hiring people who do nothing but just ''think up'' stuff. The game design is usually a culmination of the thoughts and conceptual art of the artists, producers, programmers, and writers.

The best way to land a job as a writer is to do build up a portfolio. Do some articles for a newspaper. Maybe work on a nice, detailed, screenplay for a ficticious movie. Write a few books. Try and get them published. Make your presence known.

Then, go to a game company, and show them your credentials. Prove to them you have the imagination and writing ability to create a dialogue for their games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement