🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Plot concept

Started by
1 comment, last by NeverSayDie 21 years, 12 months ago
Alright folks, just an idea I came up with a while back for the plot/backstory of a semi-realistic miltary sci-fi FPS style thing. I was orignally planning on developing a single player HL mod around it, but that didn''t work out. Just thought I''d post it up and get some feedback. The basic idea is pretty standard and cliched, with a slight twist - basically the kind of story you could use for an action based game without any great depth. Anyway: The story is set in the near future (T+60/70 years aprox). Mankind has increased their technological level, etc. FTL travel is just about possible, and research bases have been set up in one or two nearby solar systems. Player is a member of a miltary spec ops unit assigned to provide security to all space-based operations. Anyway, the research bases have been coming under attack recently from unknown hostile forces, assumed to be ET in origin, as there are very few humans outside the solar system, and they''re all accounted for. The ETs nature is unknown - no specimens have been recovered and contact has been limited to civilians. The staging point of the force carrying out the attacks has been traced, and the player''s unit is assigned to investigate and "sort out" the situation with these apparent aliens. However, all is not as it appears. Presumably part way through the game, it is revealed that the "ETs" are in fact human. They are the remains of a "generation ship" sent out several decades earlier in a secret government/military operation. The ship ran into difficulties and the project was abandoned and swept under the proverbial rug - impractical to mount a rescue, etc. Plus, the crew had been gentically fiddled with (on a minor level - no super mutant stuff), something the top brass would rather keep from the public. The new bases and such were set up in the same region of space as the oringal ship was heading for, as it had always been considered a prime target location. So, the descendants of the original generation ship''s crew are understandably somewhat pissed, and have starting raising a ruckus. Not sure how things would develop from there, but that was the basic hook. Thoughts/opinions?
Advertisement
Hmm, I think I like it. Have you ever seen the original Star Trek movie? The idea of an ''ancient space probe'' being sent out by the human race coming back to haunt them was used there.

You say that ''contact is limited only to civilians,'' but that they''ve been ''coming under attack.'' Attacking civilians? Would the crew of the ship really do that? Maybe it''d be better if the player were more of a member of an FBI-type organization, that have been assigned to investigate these ''contacts.''

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

A good start, but add some more details and put a little bit more thinking into it. When you come up with the details, ask yourself why and how they "happened" in your storyline.

I think you can do some neat plotstrands from this basic idea. Have you ever seen Event Horizon? If not, watch it, and you''ll understand what I mean

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement