🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adventure :how to find a plot

Started by
8 comments, last by DocJunioR 21 years, 10 months ago
I want to make an adventure again But I''ve no idea about what story it''ll have.. How do you get ideas for games? can you tell me some interestng plots (I''m writing textadventures .. no graphics) cya DjR
cYaDjR====================may you be in heaven half an hourbefore devil knows you''re dead ;)
Advertisement
look for the 36 dramatic situations ?
look for the MUD-dev list of plots (several hundreds mini scenario, events, etc)
read books, not novels but the books that contains so many facts, and explanations that your brain is kickstarted into making stories out of the mass of info, et voila ! Personally, I love to read history books (I love the XVIth century period), sometimes I''ll just dif into the scientific books, biology, animal behaviours, sometimes I''ll just look at an atlas or a cool scientific magazine like National Geographic (we have one in France called Geo which is mostly about huge pictures of beautiful places far way, not a lot of text to hide the pictures, and that''s pretty much it, HIGHLY inspirational).

Oh, and I love to read dictionaries, go figure

Go on, open a book !

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
One of the methods I''ve used successfully over the years I call the ''plot crash.''

You take two entirely unrelated stories, in different genres, and read them one paragraph at a time each. The resulting disjointed logic will often confuse the rational mind, and it retreats temporarily to gather itself to reestablish control. Meanwhile, the subconscious mind is exposed to the consciousness for a few precious seconds, and something of value is almost always bound to be found there, provided you look clearly. This method and others like it have always been discounted by those slavishly chained to the myths of creative self relation, but don''t let that stop you from original innovation.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

Wordlists are great!

I just open my good old english dictionary on a couple of random pages and pick a couple of words to play with. Then I let my brain start working and in the end of the day I''ll have nice outline.
I go with the "Read a book" idea.

How about your favorite movie/tv show (I myself have a game that borrows some elements from "Blade" in the works)?

Pick up the newspaper or a magazine!

I don''t see how anyone could ever have trouble coming up with a plot for a game.

You''''ve never seen anyone like me, and you''''ll never see anyone like me again!
You''ve never seen anyone like me, and you''ll never see anyone like me again!
Well, in the Foundation series, Asimov reflected and expanded on specific concepts that were explained in Gibbon''s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire... You could take a book that you like (even an epic like Beowulf or
Illiad), and think about what the writer is saying, or trying to say. Or, some people do this (I don''t)- Take two favorite books and decide what makes them so good. If it is a concept, use that concept. If it is a writing style, then I guess you could... use it or something.
Personally, I like to listen to movie soundtracks in order to come up with storylines. You need to find whatever groove you''re in (what you feel like writing about at the moment), find some music to fit that groove and then just imagine away.
Did any body say "Play a Game?"
Especially plot-based game, preferably, RPGs.

And, really, I think you need to spend more time thinking blankly. Don''t just spend 1 hour, and conclude that you have no idea at all. Establish a theme first, then derive characters that fit this theme. Using different characters to create conflicts between them. As the famous saying goes, no conflict no plot. I think if you have some conflicts, the plot will eventually come. And, I do notice some rpgs do not have a central theme at all. (Morrowind) Btw, I would not really call it an rpg, if you can not make a movie STRICTLY based on the game.
Struggling in converting something of mind to something of paper...
Btw, again (-_-), here is a tip. Put a small notebook and a ben in your pocket, whereever you go. When you sparks a good idea, write it down IMMEDIATELY. I often find good idea can be easily forgotten for a long period of time.........or maybe it''s just me.
Struggling in converting something of mind to something of paper...
Er, Morrowind does have a "central theme". It may be surrounded by hundreds of other irrelevant stories but there is a purpose for your presence on the island.

As for playing games for inspiration, I have to say that's never been useful for me. All my ideas have come from articles about actual science, mythology, and years of reading scifi. Read stuff for ideas about plot and story, play games for ideas about gameplay and game mechanics.

[edited by - mumboi on August 7, 2002 12:24:10 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement