🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

what's with this forum?

Started by
22 comments, last by walkingcarcass 21 years, 10 months ago
how come hardly anyone posts here? people everywhere are singing for good writing in games, it seems everyone not busy singing is grappling with matrices. ******** A Problem Worthy of Attack Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
Advertisement
Yeah, there are couple of forums that seemed to be getting very little traffic.

For instance:
Software Engineering
Mod Development
NeXe
Power Render API
glVelocity

The last three I can understand why, as they are based around one resource/engine that nobody is interested in anymore. However the others (including Game Writing) I don''t. All of them are ''general'' game development areas, perhaps the game development demograph has shifted away from design and gameplay and gone totally toward making pretty pictures (all the popular forums are appropriate for graphics/graphics related posts of one kind or another).
I''d really like to join more discussions regarding Software Engineering. I think this is actually one of the most interesting and important subjects... and it''s essential for creating professional (and semi-professional) games.

Either most professionals who visit these forums know everything about Software Engineering and don''t want to post there or we just don''t have any professionals around here...
trouble is, a forum with little traffic is unlikely to attract much attention so perhaps we''re stuck: with so little information at hand it''s pretty useless.

i want to see this little corner of life grow. "i know let''s make it a dumping ground for food for thought!" but really, we need resources. relevant info on writing is a little sparse, the closest i have found is on things like wordplayer.com which is screenwriting for hollywood.

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
To your question, "Why isn''t this forum getting any action"

You see/hear so many good ideas for games but very few actually get implemented. This forum, from a programmers perspective at least is just a collection of "good ideas" without any technical backbone. I ,however, do enjoy reading the ideas and of course you are right, game play and storyline are definitely endangered species as it relates to the newest generation of games.

Dreddnafious Maelstrom

"If i saw farther, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
I think one problem is that you have "writing" on one hand and "games" on the other, and the actual act of "Writing for games" as a distinct intersection of the 2 disciplines is too often overlooked, which is a shame.

Another problem is that many of the types of game that require good writing are a bit challenging for amateur developers to create. Therefore the demand for writers on a site such as this may not be as high as it could be.

Maybe more articles relating to writing for games would draw more writers here.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
www.gamestudies.org
www.gamedeveloper.net
www.io.com/~sjohn/choices.htm
conspiracytheory.warnerbros.com/cmp/links.html
screenwriting.about.com

I think it has to do with the relative amounts of focus this particular aspect of game dev gets. I think this is a critical area of game dev in the future, and I will continue to post here.
This forum will grow, I am certain.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

I really don''t mean to insult anyone; after all, the large number of people make the discussions very varied on these boards, but I think that there is a large population that is not serious about making a true, professional (or even finished) game. People (and I fall into this some times) think about the fun aspects, like coming up with the design, without having any real desire for the work-aspect of the creation process (like software engineering and writing). Everyone loves to imagine, few like to give up their time to execute.

Sorry, I didn''t mean to come off like that, but you get the idea I''m trying to convey.
come off like what? we shouldnt be afraid to state reality.

i actually think we need to have a lot of little unfinished projects, it gives us room to experiment and invent without being committed.

the problem for us is that as programming playpens serve a useful purpose for testing and refining techniques, a half-done lazy plot is useless, only a complete writing project explores it''s ideas properly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement