🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

what's with this forum?

Started by
22 comments, last by walkingcarcass 21 years, 11 months ago
quote: Original post by EricTrickster
Kylotan,

With all due respect, I think you may be the one who has missed the point of the commentary. I didn''t see a response about boasting, or comparing how good one is compared to others.

"I''ll be posting a big story here soon.(I hope, maybe a couple weeks.) I want it to be good because theres a lot of people here(I won''t mention any nicknames of members) who hopelessly suck at writing!"

quote: Speaking for myself, my commentary at least was simply to suggest a natural fear of posting original material in this forum until such material is copyrighted. That''s simple common sense; hell, it''s good business sense.

It''s also incorrect - as soon as you post it, it''s copyrighted. In fact, these forums are very good for that sort of thing.

Maybe you are thinking more about your ideas - but then most ideas have been done before and aren''t all that special anyway. It''s about how you present them. Since you could argue that all plots come down to one or more of the 36 Dramatic Situations or whatever, the quality of the writing is in the words, the pacing, the atmosphere, the characterisation, and so on. Posting a couple of pages of that on these forums won''t give anyone enough information for them to be able to steal your work effectively, but it will give enough information for them to be able to comment on the quality. So the paranoia may be understandable, but I think it is very misplaced.

quote: In here, it isn''t so much about problem solving as it is about getting opinions on the marketability/originality of your writing. In order to get criticism you have to be prepared to give over your original content. It''s only natural, in my opinion, that people might be reluctant to do so.

This forum shouldn''t just be about posting your writing and getting an opinion on it. Although that is a vital part of this forum, it would be a terrible waste. It also largely misses the point that writing for games is rarely the act of writing a story with a game in mind.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
Advertisement
quote: "I''ll be posting a big story here soon.(I hope, maybe a couple weeks.) I want it to be good because theres a lot of people here(I won''t mention any nicknames of members) who hopelessly suck at writing!"

My bad, I suppose I had my auto filters on and passed that post by
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
If you are worried about someone stealing your ideas, you should take steps to protect your idea before posting. One way to do this might be to print a hardcopy of what you are goint to post and send it to yourself via snailmail. Last I checked, unopened and postmarked mail stood up in the courts as valid evidence.

You could of course get it copyrighted before you post, but it might be hard to copyright general ideas such as, "I have this game idea in which a protagonist walks around a map and kills the antagonist in the end."
although high quality, involving, stimulating and enjoyable writing is obviously crucial to stories in all entertainment, what i like to see most but often see least is thought-out and clever plot structures and twists.

how this applies directly to games is: suppose a game didnt have just one story to explore, but three or four independant ones (different people and events) happening in the same game world at the same time.
you could spend the first part dipping in and out and exploring then focus your advance the one that interests you most. the highlight would be when threads and secondary characters are involved in all of them, only on replaying could you properly see exactly what these people''s roles are.
the potential for deep themes and delicious irony is incredible.

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement