🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Just how many people are serious in game writing?

Started by
15 comments, last by skybrother 21 years, 10 months ago
This is my first time here. Seeing the stagnancy of this writing section, I can''t help but to feel curious or even desperate. Just how many people here are serious in game writing? (I assume "game writing" implys script writing and screen writings) I myself has finished the final editing for the First Act of a five-acts RPG screenplay. (About 14000 words) Currently, I am repolishing the plotline with an outline of scene summaries. From the density of my unfinished outline, I would think the complete outline will be about 10000 words. (Juses, I am good at gibbering.) So, are there any people here currently on any project? What about the progression?
Struggling in converting something of mind to something of paper...
Advertisement
Truthfully, most people here are programmers or artists (very few). The vast minority of writers sometimes don''t even post here, but on the more popular game design forum.

So to answer your question, yes, there are writers here, you just have to look hard.

"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can''t."

Just3D
Justin Nordin
J Squared Productions
www.jsquaredproductions.com
"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't."Just3DJustin NordinJ Squared Productionswww.jsquaredproductions.com
I''m a serious writer/designer. I actually have a company running right now. While we aren''t working on a story-based game right now, we are indeed working on some story-based games for the long run. Right now, it''s a small puzzle game and you really can''t write a story for a puzzle game (unless you''re Sonic Team).

In any case, I''m writing a story for an game that we really aren''t picking a genre for. Initially, it was going to be an RPG but we weren''t happy tagging the story onto an old genre; we wanted to do something different, so the game is really an action/adventure/rpg hybrid. But that is beside the point.

The game is told in three "parts". Initially, when I wrote a really quick overview and basic premise of the first part, it reached 40,000 words. But now I''m going over it with another overview which will easily reach 100,000+ words.

On top of that, I''ve been working on several shorter stories for more "friendlier" games we''re going to work on later.
I think more and more writers are going to come around to the art form of game writing as they realize what a compelling art form it is. It''s certainly important enough for the WGA to include addressing this form of writing into it''s most recent contract.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

I am serious. Very serious.

----------

I rule, you drool!

----------

"If the whole world was out to get you... they would have gotten you by now."
I think the problem is that everybody has a story to put into a game, but don''t trust the forum for hashing out the details. But certainly, this forum should see some better use and not have every post end with a "its been done already, (a href="") heres the link (/a)." I would be cautious to all of you game writers. The Industry isn''t at a state where you could sell your talent the same way a film writer could. Take the time to learn some computer science topics, train yourself in basic drawing and music concepts. Also, study a few artistic games. By study, I mean buy and play, but also I mean examine it and figure out what makes it unique. The most recent of which is REZ for the PS2. It doesn''t have much writing in it, but its still good education.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
Well, Im serious (I think). I have been serious about other games/software I was going to write, but I get about 1/4 way into them and decide its too boring. This time though, I have a good idea
//att
O ya...Um serious...
quote: Original post by skybrother
Just how many people here are serious in game writing? (I assume "game writing" implys script writing and screen writings)
I myself has finished the final editing for the First Act of a five-acts RPG screenplay. (About 14000 words) Currently, I am repolishing the plotline with an outline of scene summaries. From the density of my unfinished outline, I would think the complete outline will be about 10000 words. (Juses, I am good at gibbering.)

How does your screenplay show game-specific features? Or is it just the equivalent of a lot of cut-scenes and fixed dialogue?

I''m serious about writing, but I''m not doing it as a screenplay. The game will be too non-linear for that. Only a few certain events will lend themselves to that type of presentation.

Besides which, my current project is a strategy/sim game, and the writing there will just be quest descriptions, not any kind of story.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement