🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Games with well developed plots

Started by
22 comments, last by Wicked Ewok 21 years, 10 months ago
List some games that you think has an immersive, creative and engaging plot. Maybe list some games that you think had mediocre plots and explain why you think so. I''ll start off with a couple of games. Deus Ex was a great game. Its plot was richly detailed. Although it used some cliches like the long lost brother working for the enemy, or the main character unwittingly working for the actual bad guys, the presentation of the plot was what won me over. It had superb sound effects and musical scores, as well as great level design. Starcraft, some might say, had a good storyline. I would disagree. To me the plot seemed to be based on a warpped version of Tolkien''s universe, in which the protoss were elves, the zerglings were the orcs, and the terrans, were, humans. Add a starship troopers theme to the art and voice acting, and you''ve got yourself starcraft. The presentation of the game was amazing indeed. But one thing that just didn''t make my day was the fact that the overmind explodes in the end. Does every blizzard RTS game have to end in a big explosion? -=~''''^''''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''''^''''~=-
-=~''^''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''^''~=-
Advertisement
Oh come on. Your being too harsh. Everything ends in a big explosion.

Death Star, the "Big Boss" at the end of every FPS, a lot of anime end that way. . .ummm. . .I can think of more if you give me some time.

Isn''t it a little sad that Deus Ex is the only game people think of when we are discussing games with good storys?

PHRICTION
Well, maybe things need to start with a big bang...and end in some sort of blackhole.

-=~''''^''''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''''^''''~=-
-=~''^''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''^''~=-
I''d rather games end with a bang than with a;

"Congradulations! You WOn! Thanx for Playing!"

(What the hell where they thinking?)

Final Fantasy 6 was one of my favorite game storylines. It had every cliche imaginable but was engauging, fun, and exciting every second of the way, so I''m not sure what that means exactly. I know it has to mean somehting because at least 2 million other aggree with me on this.

Bad storylines, humm lets see;

Mortal Kombat,
Killer Instinct,
Beyond the Beyond,
and many more I just don''t want to list them all

Mainly becasue they were presented poorly or for the fighting games, non-existant, or tacked on at the last minute just to have one so...

Liquid Moon Team

Project X2

Metal Gear Solid had a half-decent plot, IMHO.

Like it or not most ''fighting'' games are a bit weak in plots.
You''ve never seen anyone like me, and you''ll never see anyone like me again!
Pacman for me had the most engaging story-line. I remember when I was younger trying to find the philisophical meaning of a man trapped in a maze for eternity... (or 256 levels, anyway)
Check out my music at: http://zed.cbc.ca/go.ZeD?user_id=41947&user=Laroche&page=content
The video game stories\plot lines that I''ve enjoyed the most are Bad Dudes:

"The president has been kidnapped by ninjas...
Are you a bad enough dude to rescue him?"

and Zero Wing for Genesis ("All your base".) Not the most developed plot lines of all time, but definitely entertaining.
Now you, thats just my point. Take Laroche''s comment. A joke obviously, but it just demonstrates the intolerance towards story-telling in gaming.

As for everything ending with an explosion, thats just an underlining of the climactic event ending. I mean, even when Christ died there was an earthquake and the curtain in the temple tore. Its symbolic of the effort that was placed into it and that it''s all paid off and we get a big showing of our victory over evil. Though, yes, i agree. Explosions representing an end have gotten cliche''. Which is why it was great in FinalFantasy7 that sephiroth just faded away quietly after getting the crap kicked out of him. And then it sucked when they did that confusing FMV after.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
actually, the japanease version of zero wing had a pretty good plot, they just bodged up the translation somewhat ("someone set up us the bomb")
In addition to several of the games mentioned earlier, I loved FF7''s and Xenogear''s plots. FF7, though not perfect, has this complex psychologically f*cked up main character who finally gets to face -and conquer- the man that he is a copy of. Not to mention that whole ecology theme that pervaded the game. You don''t see that too often in video games.

Xenogears, although badly cliched in one or two parts, (Pain... must... forget... Star Trek references.) is the only RPG I''ve ever played that gave me that fantasy novel feel. Playing the game felt almost like roleplaying. The world has an almost tactile history that stretches back thousands of years, most of the characters are well developed (even through the moderately bad translation), evil is Evil with a capital E, the main character is a repeatedly reincarnated savior figure with unlimited potential for both good and evil... the game is just deep, trust me.

Duran Strife: Brainless, but deep

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement