🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Demons, Gods and Magic(and that old cloaked man idea)

Started by
25 comments, last by Furion 21 years, 10 months ago
Does the gaming industry have too many of these types of games already? I''m writing an Action/RPG that has this sort of backround in it. The game will be based SOLELY on sorcery, because I beleive spells are the most fun part of any game. It has an awesome story to it(in my opinion). Would it be hard to compete with games like Balders Gate, Warcraft, and Diablo 2? Does the game industry have enough of these dark games already?
Advertisement
Personally I don''t think the games you mentioned are "dark" and I would be happy to see some "darker" games, in terms of the setting and storyline. To me, Baldur''s Gate and Diablo are examples of heroic, or ''high'' fantasy where a few heroes mow down numerous enemies with ease, etc. They''re more like the Dragonlance books, whereas what I consider to be ''dark'' fantasy might be something like Tad Williams'' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series, which has a real feeling of oppression throughout.

I also personally feel that a proliferation of magic users tends to take away the dark aspect from most fantasy stories and makes it into more a fairy tale instead. Maybe yours could be different.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
Well if those games aren''t "dark", then what is your definition of a "dark" game?
I thought that the ''Thief'' games were dark games.
Max Payne is a dark game!
Darkhaven Beta-test stage coming soon.
quote: Demons, Gods and Magic

This in and of it self is pretty common. I really don''t think you can say that this is "dark" or "light". It really boils down to what kind of story you have.

Forgetting the story for now, one way to make it "dark" is to severely limit the power of demons, gods, and magic. Make it so that their existence is trivial, and make magic just child''s play.

Usually, the more powerful you make these, the more "lighter" the game becomes. If demons are people wearing goat masks, gods are crackpots, and the old man is a conman, you are well on your way to making a "dark" game.
To me a dark game is something where the world is threatened by a STRONG evil. Not some evil minded king sitting in his castle THINKING evil.

Something actually has to be affecting the world, and it has to be strongly noticeable. And I don''t mean, "Oh no! An band of orcs is sitting on the side of this mountain." I mean, Lord of the Rings: "Holy shit, that mountain is spewing purple shit!"

Meh, I''ll have to write a descent RPG story sometime. After I finish my current project first

-AfroFire
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
quote: Original post by andromeda
I thought that the ''Thief'' games were dark games.

Yep, both Thief games were dark, and not just because of their appearance. Any game where essentially you''re locked in a battle between Evil and Evil has to be cool

Realms of the Haunting is another ''dark'' game. And Soulbringer.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
Would Planescape:Torment by Black Isle be a dark game?
watch movies like teh matrix, 12 monkeys and fight club. they have very strong plot elements and mutiple twists preformed perfectly. sorcery cna lend to many things many of which are admmitedly cliche, but ideas like the matrix and 12 monkeys are in many novels and otehr movies, though those two movies made them unique. and fight club i dont think ive even seen something where a mental delusion was so prominetly protrayed, and well. sixth sense and x files also have great twists and such in them. as for dark games play the legacy of kain series.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement