🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

symbolism vs. literalism, advice please?

Started by
17 comments, last by sunandshadow 21 years, 8 months ago
quote: Original post by ahw
bishop : she might be scarce, but her few appearances are always worth it

Thank you, I''m flattered.

quote:

Similarly, in your case, you could simply put those symbols at key moments. For instance the first time your character is described, during a promenade in the park, some butterflies could be flying in the background.

That''s another excellent idea, I can''t wait to try that myself!

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
bishop : she might be scarce, but her few appearances are always worth it

Indeed! She is the sun that lights our way, and the shadow which is cast upon her departure. Here today, gone tomorrow, the sunandshadow!

a few things:

i like the idea with more symbolism at key points. this would make it more obvious where it is important. however, i agree with ahw - it is fun to put in symbolism in the way of authors - a large percentage of readers will never even notice - but you, and a few others who will understand, will see the significance. the cat idea is great and it would still flow with the story... would most people even question why it happened to be a cat looking on?
on the same idea, you could, during his walk (if, of course, you want him walking down the street at night in your story), he could pass by some people who are drawn very absractractly (not picasso, i mean symbolicaly). one is emphasized as strong and lacking sufficient acumen to tie his shoes. next, someone frail and gaunt, yet... well, ghandi-like. very small, but sure. just an idea. i have no idea if that would even fit your characters. just writing down what popped into my head!

on more personal notes to other posters:

bishop_pass - sorry for the instruments thread. i didnt mean to come off so angry. i apologize.

ahw - Prayer before logging on to the Internet...
Almighty and eternal God, who hast created us in Thy image and hast bidden us to seek after all that is good, true and beautiful,especially in the divine person of Thy only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, grant we beseech Thee that, through the intercession of Saint Isidore, bishop and doctor, during our journeys through the internet we will direct our hands and eyes only to that which is pleasing to Thee and treat with charity and patience all those souls whom we encounter. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

-geo-
http://www.geocities.com/elementum_game

[edited by - geo_elementum on October 3, 2002 11:41:28 PM]
I just wanted to add on the previous ideas.

Like I described with the fire thing, it would be interesting to show the evolution of your character(s) by having recurring symbols.
For instance, at the start of the story, there might be a caterpillar on a plant in the person''s house. Later on in the story, maybe while in a park or something, a caterpillar might be making its cocoon. Later again, a butterfly emerges slowly from its cocoon. And maybe around the end, another butterfly dying ?

Same with the cat, you could show different aspects of the cat.
A mother cat feeding kittens, a cat with a mouse in the mouth and its nose bloody, a cat observing you calmly from the top of a window, only a pair of glowing eyes at the end of a dark tunnel, and so on and so forth.

Of course, you could also use something a bit more obviously symbolic, like a necklace or a brooch with a butterfly on it.
Or simply "a feline grace", "eyes like a cat", and other little mannerisms that are usually assiociated with cats (meowing, licking one''s paw, etc)
You could use cover of books, a magasine on wildlife, a painting in the character''s flat, and tons of other little things to show those symbols. I am sure you can come up with more yourself.

My point is, you can be very symbolic in a very literal way. The trick is to show the symbols in the background (not necessarily in a visual sense, but more in a focus sense) while the character occupies the foreground. The spectator is focusing on the character, so the background usually goes unnoticed, but yet it is, by the subconscious. Besides this kind of symbolism in the background makes for great reviewing/rereading.
you know that feeling when you watch a movie AGAIN just to see all the little hints you *know* were there but you didnt actually notice (all the apperances of Brad Pitt as subliminal pictures in Fightclub, all the little details in 6th Sense, etc)

Ah well, you get the idea

geo_elementum : hehe, yeah I know that one, but it''s just to preachy for me. I prefer the "blessed be this computer" prayer I found once on a Wicca site. Hilarious stuff IMHO

bishop : ahum, yeah, well, let''s not get all overexcited shall we ?

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
bishop : ahum, yeah, well, let''s not get all overexcited shall we ?

The name sunandshadow is actually a classic example of where symbolism works. Quite relevant to the thread actually.

at the end - going off what ahw posted - your cat could catch a butterfly... perhaps he is fighting with himself, too? and part of his personality is winning out?

maybe not.

lol

-geo-
http://www.geocities.com/elementum_game
Or the cat could be lying on a window edge (mine do that a lot ) as a butterfly land just next to him. The cat doesnt do anything.
Or, a butterfly could land in front of the cat and as the cat decides to paw it to play, the butterfly, taking off, scares the cat away ?

Of course I am sure there are other things than a cat with butterfly wings to imagine. But I have to ask, Sunandshadow, were you by any chance thinking of the cat in Sakura Card captor ? (or is it another show, I cant remember, but I know there was a cat with butterfly wings...)

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
No, I was not thinking of a particular cat with butterfly wings.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Hi!
Well hmm if you are gonna write for a comic-book you should try to picture the scenes in your head, the problem is at least for me is that I do it even when I''m not screen-writing.

The problem is of course that you limit yourself to the scene in your head and don''t think futher. If it''s an advanced story you might want to both think in pictures then try to go beyond pictures.. But well it''s hard..

Regards

Daniel.W

http://www.writers-hub.tk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement