🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to format the hard drive

Started by
17 comments, last by Mr Cucumber 24 years, 2 months ago
Sorry this isn''t programming related but I need to know. My hard drive (or is it called hard disc?) is slow and there isn''t very much space left on it so I need to format it but I don''t know how to do it. So please anyone help me. BTW I use win 98.
Advertisement
Restart the computer in DOS mode or shutdown Windows 98 to DOS, then write "format D:" (without the "" of course) where D is the drive letter, usually C. Make sure that you don''t have anything left on it that you want saved, it isn''t easy to restore it once it''s formatted (however it is possible). Also make sure that your CD works in DOS (or that you have drivers for it) if you can''t boot a CD.

But if you haven''t done it before and you''re not very experienced with computer, I suggest you have a computer company or a friend do it (so you can blame him/her ), because you might end up with Windows 98 not reinstalling.

(I can tell you in Swedish if you''d like)

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
But if I create a start disc in windows 98 by using the thing you can find in the add/remove programs icon on the control panel, shouldn''t that make the cd-rom work in dos.
If I boot up the computer using that disc that is?
As far as I know, no. The Win98 disc is just to restore some errors if Win98 won't start, not when it's completely gone.

Can you boot CD's? If you don't know, restart the computer, go into BIOS and find some kind of "boot drive" option and look if you can change it to CD.

Edited by - Spiff on 4/28/00 7:28:34 AM
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Do this:

Go to the start menu, Shut Down, Restart in MS-DOS mode.
From there, type this exactly.

format c:
and press enter

follow the prompts.

be warned that this will destroy ALL data on your hard drive.

maybe you are talking about defragging your hard drive? to help speed it up some?
if you are, do this:

Start Menu, then choose Run, then type "defrag" in the box (without the quotes) and press enter
adamm@san.rr.com
No I really wan't to format it to clean it up completely.
I restarted the computer in dos mode for fun with the windows cd in it and just typed d: which is my cd-rom and guess what it said: "Invalid drive specification"! I then turned off the computer and I inserted a Boot disc. I then turned the computer on and nothing happened. It didn't search for a boot disc so windows started up like normal.
But I think I can boot from a cd-rom disc.
Atleast every time I start the computer there is a line that says "Boot from cd-rom:" but since I normally don't have a boot disc in it it says "failure" after.
I'm not sure I dare to format it.
Darn

Edited by - Mr Cucumber on 4/28/00 8:45:22 AM
Congratulations, you''ve got CD-Boot. Life without it is scary

Anyhow, if you want to make certain that Win98 install will start when your drive is formatted, put it in the CD, restart and see if you can start the installation. Then it should be 99% safe. Still, I advice you to let someone who knows this a little better do it. Then he/she can teach you so you can do it in the future. I was also pretty scared to format my drive for the first time, but it''s very useful sometimes. I''ve also happened to have real trouble with CD''s not working in DOS, but I''ve been lucky enough to fix it anyway, it usually does.

Heh, I got that one Chernobyl virus and had to reformat. What you do is you start your computer, and right before windows is about to load up, press F8 (press is many times so your sure!). A little ANSI screen will pop up asking you some choices. Pick "Start-up in Dos" or sothing like that and wait for it to load. Then, at the promtp, type "format c:". Follow the prompts. After the disk is formated, whip out your Win98 startup disk and boot up the computer with it. once you get to the selection screen, choose "Start-up with CD support". Once thats done, type "setup" from the CD prompt to start instalation of Windows.
But nothing happens when I start up the computer with the win 98 cd in the CD-ROM. Or do I have to press some button or something?
after you reformat, restart with the Win98 startup FLOPPY DISK, not the CD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement