🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG story...

Started by
11 comments, last by MSW 21 years, 6 months ago
smiley4 - erm...no

the EPA isn''t the richest in the galaxy...they are much like the UN security console...and answerable to the companies that fund them...they are tasked with protecting the Earth, but that is the limits of thier power (unless the funding companies come to an agreement over other objectives for them)...Yeah, they are a army of sorts, but they arn''t the Empire from Star Wars (altho some of the game groups may think so)...and by keeping them rather nutral it adds to the moral dilema because they aren''t clearly good or bad...

A moral delema involoves makeing a decision basied on choices with each with percieved equal moral value...a perfect example is the mytar...a person who is dangerious while alive...and because of his/her influence on others, this person can be just as dangerious dead...so how do you handle such a situation?

Advertisement
Sorry bout that, I was off on my Deus Ex like rant. I wasn't saying have the EPA be corrupt. If the EPA is like the UN then it would be alot like it is now. The governments or "companies" wich fund the EPA can be corrupt and the EPA just carries out the will of their leaders under the impression that they are doing the human race a justice. Some may find out the truth behind one of the company's schemes and want you to restore the order that was set in the beginning. So if you kill the major heads of one of those companies, that may or may not change the way their successors run things.

(I think that this would work as a hidden evil because whether you want to admit it or not, Capitalism can be a form of Communisim that only appeals to everyone because of our natural greedy instincts.)

If everybody has their own evil side, no one is right and no one is wrong because they all have their reasons to do what they do.

And even if the game is based upon a "moral dillemia" there still should be distinct good and bad characters throughout the game. People attach themselves more to a game when there is something at stake. I was just presenting a possability for a side mission which could or could not have drastic consiquences to the main story-line (if there is one.)

[edited by - smiley4 on January 2, 2003 4:33:37 PM]
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
Dont have time to read all posts...

Some problems:
1-resourcecs. Huge amounts of reasources would be needed. I suppose that mining the astroids and such would help, but especially for the numbers you are posing and since corporations run things, how would they sustain their bases with resources costing so much?

2-the orbit. Why not put them in a nearly circular orbit close to the sun where they are not in darkness and without energy (solar I assume although fusion is possible but that leads to another problem) half the time.

3-Pollution and destruction. In keeping 36 trillion people in space, limited resources, lack or power, lack of space, and the ultra industrialization needed for the support of such an infrastructure would result in ultraefficient manufacturing, recycling, and engineering, as well as fusion or ultra advanced solar power--both nearly pollution free, and the ability to squeeze every drop of fuel, water, and O2 out of every particle, and having ultraeffective life support systems would lead to a civilization that probably would have little to no trouble existing quite nicely and *cleanly* on Earth, not to mention Mars or the moon.

Don''t take that as a killer, though. Maybe the character realises it and wants us to go back, but the corrupt EPA doesnt, maybe they are using Earth for something of their own (gotta make them have some ulterior motive). But maybe if it was something good they were doing, even though they were blocking access would lead to interesting conflict. COuld be plain of reactionism even.
Good idea,
good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement