🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need ideas for different ways to "rule" a country.

Started by
15 comments, last by Srekel 21 years, 5 months ago
How about two societies that are not so different than each other(both capitalist or communist), except that they are fed political propoganda about the other country... perhaps from the same source?

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

Advertisement
Combine them...

One being a capitalistic emotional democracy (personal gain is emotional, and a democracy makes sense - everyone wnats to go to the power).

The other one is a Cold Logic Communist Monarchy. WHich MIGHT be possible.

Communism is about "the best for all" - which you CAN achieve with cold logic. The monarchy might be a "symbol" left over from the past, and there is not really a log of logic in replacing the head figure - he is not behind personal gain etc. (logic), but a good symbol (also to the outside). Sort of big brother :-)

OTOH - the Logic vs. Emotional part is hard for one race. You can not justify this with a country border alone.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
You should have the 2 countries to get mad at each other beacause of some terrorist attack against both of the countries so they blame each other and war breaks out. When it is all over and millions have died on ether side than they find some other info that proves that the other country did not do it. This happins when you kill both countries leaders. It was actually your country the whole time and they made you believe that the 2 countries were bad. So you join the 2 countries and take over your country.

I hope this helped in any way!
HA!!!
Ok I started writing a little...

EDIT

Nevermind, I talked to a friend and he made me realize what I had in mind was a bad idea... I'm rewriting now....

[edited by - Srekel on January 14, 2003 4:31:28 PM]
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
Ok...

I think this "partition" will have a pleasant mix of somewhat equally combat abilities between countries, and both are good places to get quests.

History of the world

For as long as the history books can tell us, Country 1 and Country 2 only had one long border. There was no Your Country. The country at the time had a lot of interest in inventing new technologies, and running industries that used up a lot of the countries natural resources.

However, sixty years ago, something happened that changed everything. A computer was invented. It was programmed to optimize the country''s economics and use of nature down to the last detail. It was invented by a group of programmers that understood that the way the country was ruled, it wouldn''t take long for it to be left completely without any nature left. Soon after they completed it and set it up, they took their own lives by driving off a cliff. There were never any bodies found, so most people concluded that they simply didn''t want anyone to understand exactly how the computer worked, or what limitations/restrictions it had, so they faked their deaths.

There was an election almost immediately, whether or not the computer should show exactly how everyone should live their lifes. The computer got a lot of votes, but a lot of people refused to bu controlled by a computer. They made a deal: Everyone who thought the computer was a good idea, go to the eastern part of the country, the part where the computer was located. The rest, go to the west. They then split the country exactly in half. This was a fair deal, since everything was quite equally distributed (factories, natural resources and so on) all over the country.

Basically everyone was happy with the decision, and about one fourth of the country''s population moved to the west, the rest to the east. But things weren''t as easy as it seemed in the west. Some people wanted to forget everything that had to do with technology, and just live on what the nature gave them, a few tried to get votes to become dictator, a lot wanted a democracy, with a council of an uneven amount of members to rule, but no side could convince the other sides that theirs was better. Most had gone there thinking "My way is the best way, I''m sure everyone will get there". Some, of course, just wanted to get away from what they expected to be a computer-controlled tyranny.

Exactly a year after the countries split, there was a meeting, in which it was decided that the country would not be led by anyone, and noone could tell anyone else what to do. Anarchy. So, what happened was that a lot of villages was created everywhere in the country, and small parts of cities became controlled by small groups of people. After a while, different societies started to spring up. Some villages and townparts were ran by (small) dictators, some by complete democracy, the naturists started their own communities etc. As time went, the larger cities in the east of the country (so in the middle of the starting country ) were taken over by the ones that wanted capitalistic democracy. 35 years after the countrysplit, there were so many of them, that they decided to create a new country. By this time, some parts of the eastern country had seen this political uprising (?) take part, and quite a lot found it to be a good idea.

When the new country was declared, some of the eastern country''s cities "defected" to it. The new country is the starting place for the character.

"Kaka e gott" - Me
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
How about this neat twist. Someone in a political position within the middle country has been playing the other countries off against each other for a long time, perhaps as some sort of cultist movement. In reality the two countries have very similar interests, and if it were not for the middle countries unknown stirring between the countries, they would be brilliant friends.

This sets up a reason to go and do something about it by assasinating one of the presidents, only to have a twist whereby they uncover the plot by the home politician and decide that they must stop them before it is too late!

Just an idea I got from reading some of the other posts...

Stu
quote: Original post by Srekel
Your Country has managed to be somewhat neutral, and therefore is very rich and quite advanced (because of trade with both countries). This has worked fine for 50 years (or so), but now one of the other countries'' ruler(s) has decided that your country is far too valuable to be let alone....

First, why would the neutral country neccesarily be rich? It''s a lot smaller than the others (From your drawing, at least), and surrounded by two bigger countries (which are enemies), so any natural resources would probably be nicked by one of the other countries (to prevent the other from getting it). Besides, they might not be allowed to tradde with both countries (both countries could go "If you trade with those bastards, we won''t trade with ya''. And if you do it again, we''ll declare war").

Don''t know what suits your story best though. Just throwing out a few random thoughts...

quote:
Communism VS Capitalism - Old and classic, but not necessarily boring and there''s still a lot to be said.

Well, as long as you stay away from the good/evil thing, it would make a good setting...

quote:
Emotional VS "Cold Logic" (ie. one country is ruled based on the people''s emotions, while the other country does exactly what is the rational thing to do (like Vulcans in Star Trek)

Don''t like that one... Ends up too close to good/evil anyay... (Most people will think of the emotial people as the good guys). Same with the nature/technology thing someone suggested
quote:
Monarchy VS ? (which is basically inherited dictatorship, with both benifits and... bad things )

Just throwing out another random thought here:
Monarchies doesn''t have to be "inherited dictatorships", at least not if it takes place in a modern/futuristic world. If you look at most monarchies today, they''re basically democracies with a king who don''t really have any power, but draws a bit of attention away from the actual leaders, and goes around being symbols of something or other...

Anyway, sounds promising... At least the storyline sounds a bit different from the usual stuff... Hope you''ll keep us informed on the game...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement