🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game storytelling

Started by
13 comments, last by Forestwalker 21 years, 3 months ago
I started writing the dialogue choices for the dating sim/ren''ai game yesterday, and I really don''t think interactivity and solid, satisfying plot are mutually exclusive, but trying for both does make the writing a lot more difficult.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
>>I started writing the dialogue choices for the dating sim/ren''ai game yesterday, and I really don''t think interactivity and solid, satisfying plot are mutually exclusive, but trying for both does make the writing a lot more difficult.

sunandshadow I think you''ve forgotten a couple of things.

If you make a game where the player decides the how the plot evolves, and all you give them are the possibilities they can work with, a starting point and the characters they can interact with... where does the actual plot originate? Is it in the writer''s ideas or in the player''s actions? I would lean more towards the later... because they are the ones deciding how it flows.

If you make a game that encourages players to choose you are no longer really making a "storyline"... your making a "sim" with a "setting". Your story becomes a setting rather than a narrative...

So you gotta ask is this game more of a simulator or a story?

^_^ Well I know you can say that these ren-ai games have a story (even though I haven''t played one)... but the focus is no longer on the original intentions of the storywriter but on the player''s decisions (even if their choices don''t change much at all).

Getting a bit off track here though... remember we are talking about whether or not a game can tell a story as well as a moive/novel. My point was that you can... but you have to surrender some of the player-decisions in order to ensure the story follows the original plan.

To me, the wrong kind of game would be a LotR game that lets the player decided what kind of person Frodo is... and also lets the player decide which way they want to get to Mordor. You have a start and a finish... but the guts is strewn all over the place..

Blah blah blah... I think I could defend this point until I die
Games can be everything, I love a game with a good plot. For a good example see Metal Gear Solid 2 for PS2. A brilliant plot, cinematic direction and yet the gameplay was still brilliant! Go MGS2!!!
Game can even be more than a movie given the interactivity. The nerds in the arcade playing Space Invaders are long gone. Games have evolved to become highly sophisticated, entertainment at heart, but so much more.
More than a movie, more than a game - MGS2, Ae

Cypher[Ae] - Define reality...
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
The essential difference between storytelling in games and other media is that games are interactive. Core narrative techniques such as dialogue often serve to remove the players sense of immersion rather than enhance it, for the simple reason that they aren''t interactive. This is very much the case for cutscenes - the most annoying part about MGS2 was the constant cutscenes, and was the reason I never got into it.

Another major difference is the fact that games are a spatial medium. Where traditional narrative is about the unfolding of time, games are about the unfolding and contesting of space. There are a few exceptions to this (what I would call a 4D game), such as Shenmue and possibly Majora''s Mask, but I think they will always remain in the minority.
I don''t see why even you make distinctions, story I think is integral to design even if it is as simple as, "destroy all aliens and save the planet." That is a story, it has character action, conflict and resolution.

The fact it gets short shrift sometime as to how much attention and work that aspect of the design has may make it seem like a separate process, but it is integral.

As far as it telling a story as good or a book or movie, of course it can. It just has to be a good story. I think games are somewhat relieved of the obligation to story well in design because other aspects of the entertainment and interaction seem to have priority.

Also, it is arguable that in twitch games at least, there isn''t a lot of necessity for reliance on dramatic technique, but as games get more sophisitcated (that is not to say a simple game cannot be completely compelling, fun and addictive; we know they can) and the gaming population ages, they will want more and more.

Addy

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement