🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I need your ideas.

Started by
27 comments, last by kill 24 years, 1 month ago
Hi. I am working on a futuristic action shooter. It''s a couple of hundred years into the future, humans have created fighting machines, and these machines destroyed all life on Earth. They''re now fighting among themselves. The game is an overhead shooter, with dead, burning landscape. I''m going to have about 20 robots, can you guys give me the ideas about the robot designs, anything, any links, something where I could get the insipiration. Thanx.
Advertisement
AAAHHH!!! Thats a lot like my game that I''m gonna make, look at the bottom of this forum and you''ll see a post by me. Anyways, its not totally the same, mine is a platformer and the robots were given a virus by terrorists that made them evil. Good luck though. Maybe we can help each other with robot ideas or something.
i have no links or anything, but some advise: avoid cliched robots, go for something original. check out the end goblin genocide to see what i mean

<(o)>
<(o)>
quote: Original post by aDasTRa
i have no links or anything, but some advise: avoid cliched robots, go for something original. check out the end goblin genocide to see what i mean

Spider type bots in Dominion were kinda cool, instead of just the usual Humanoid style. Maybe there are some other creatures you could base bots off of too? Like that pterodactyl-type bot from "Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future" ... and maybe some different sized bots, like really small, stealthy ones.

I don''t quite get what your game would be like. RTS? Raptor/Tyrian with bots? More like Chaos Engine / Gauntlet style with bots? (i''m kind of guessing the latter)

- n8

nathany.com
Try elfwood.com , there´s a link to zone47, a sci-fi art gallery. There you shoud find mechs/robots en masse.

Overhead shooter with robots is problematic cause the walk-animations are tought to get right. You could try tanklike ones, or hybrids (humanoid torso+arms + wheels or so)
Maybe you should think of the things that the people that originally did build the robots used them for, maybe some were originally cutivaitionrobots that were transformed inte battlebots.
They might have been household robots, or worked at the city dump.
I dont think that the robots should look like humaniod battlerobots, or even real battlerobots, Maybe
Well, my game is going to be kinda like overhead quake. It will look like GTA, only instead of the city there will be landscape.

I am not really worried about getting the animations correctly, ''cause everything will be in true 3D.

Thanx a lot for your suggestions, it really helps. If you guys can, I''d like to keep this thread open, because I''m open for suggestions.
Take a look at Vangers (i-magic)

not quite the robots but i guess the landscape is what you are looking for
About a year ago I was going to make a game a lot like that, until I got caught up in Gamma Hunter (visit my site for more info on that). I have a few suggestions:
- Avoid making your game like MechCommander at all costs. You don''t want to get sued by Microsoft.
- Your robots should have about 4 weapons each, along with types of energy shields, solid shields, and different max range scanners.
- If you need some 3D art, I''d be more than happy to help you out.

Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these.

http://danavision.homestead.com

Prepare to be blown away!
-------------------------

Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
Off topic, but doesn''t the apocolyptic future with robots idea seem a bit overused? I''m not saying you can''t be successful with it, but maybe you should try to think up something a bit more original. For instance, what if the robots traveled back in time? Or what if they were trying to colonize some new planet? I''m just saying that maybe you should try something that isn''t used so often.

Note: I''m not saying that your idea is bad at all, in fact, I think it has quite a bit of potential. i''m just providing a bit of constructive criticism .

--TheGoop

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement