🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Truly Original Games

Started by
10 comments, last by Run_The_Shadows 24 years ago
Ok, this sorta goes with the worst games of the 20th century.... :What is the MOST ORIGINAL game you''ve seen in the last 3 years? I''m talking about a game of a *New* genre or a game that TRULY broke all standards of that genre. -Run_The_Shadows -Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
Advertisement
I''m not sure how original it is, but your post made me think of it.
Anyone remember that old game on the Mac where you picked a team of robots and played against an opponent. Each turn you and whoever else was playing would create paths for each robot on your team to follow, along with other options like stop and scan west for 3 seconds and shoot if you see an enemy, then move along this path, scan again, drop a mine, move here and so on. Each turn would take up so many seconds and once everyone had what their team was going to do entered the game would create a short movie displaying the results, then everything would be updated and the next turn would take place.
Thief: The Dark Project. It changed the first person genre by removing the idea of killing everything you see, and even making it counterproductive to do so. And by adding the stealth element, including use of shadows to hide in and other visibility cues. And the way sound was used not only to set the atmosphere, but as feedback on how stealthy you were, and on the arousal levels of the NPCs, was innovative.
Final Fantasy VII

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
Oddworld: Abe''s Oddysee -- I didn''t see THAT one coming! An innovative platformer... who knew?

Grim Fandango -- Adventure gaming dead my ass! Just when I was perfectly happy playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis LucasArts threw this in my face and blew me away.

------------------------------
Changing the face of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Dance Dance Revolution

$0.02
System shock.

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Mind Rover - wire your own bots.
No offense, R_T_S, but this feels like it is a lounge topic. What''s the difference between a lounge topic and a design topic? Glad you asked:

Lounge: "What''s the most original game you''ve played?"

Design: "What''s the most original game you''ve played AND WHY?"

Same goes for the worst game ever post.

Anyway, most original would have to be a tie between Tenchu: Stealth Assasins (for all of the reasons above attributed to Thief) OR Parappa the Rappa (For being a strange cousin to Toejam and Earl).
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
KingPin: Hasn''t come out yet, but I played the demo and it looks really cool (an original also), it is like an fps, but you can holster your weapon, and if you don''t people will attack that you see, and it is bad to kill everyone. You can buy stuff and hire people to be your bodyguards/mobsters.

Carmageddon: Its the only car racing game I''ve played where you can run people over and get points for it, but there are probably more.

-piksel
My site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement