🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Gimme a reason.

Started by
13 comments, last by Ketchaval 20 years, 11 months ago
I''d like to see more thought given to the plots of games (particularly if they are set in a realistic world). One of the main things that would be good would be to have clever reasons why the "bad guys" are doing what they are doing? (Ie. Like good spy / action / war movies do). Ie. Not just be that "they want to destroy the whole world". -But giving a good reason, ie. they want to undermine the political stability of a certain region.. so they can make money selling them arms.
Advertisement
motivation, motivation, motivation...

personally, I would like to see that in the creation process of PCs in cRPGs. Imagine, that instead of having to save the world, your character (or each party member), has his/her own personal motivation for being out there venturing in the wild.

Could be a quest for glory, the lure of power (if you were a wizard, WHY on Earth would you leave the safety of your haven to gun run in the forest ?), wanderlust, the need for accomplishment, personal gratification...
each type of character (or class, if you are a D&D fan) has its own reason to go out there, but each individual too.
It would make not just for an interesting line in your character''s story, but it could also have in game effects.
This would work particularly well in a free form game like the Daggerfall series, or possibly a roguelike.
Think of it as a personal quest that''s independant of the game world, but rather highly tied to the creation of the character, his roots, his family, his experience, his work, his destiny, etc.

It would be so simple to do I wonder why it''s not done already ;-)

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Actually, there are a handful of games that have done more in-depth character creation than the distribution of points. Ultima 4 and the Ogre Battle series come to mind- both begin with a series of moral dilemmas being presented to the player, and their answers change the class/type of character he will play.

Using a more involved/branching version of that system might be an interesting way to create a character, or to choose between a set of pre-defined "main" characters.

- HC
The evil sorcerer has escaped, and for some unknown reason, has decided to attempt to destroy the world. Again.

lol. I never really thought about it, but there usually IS no particular reason for the plots most games put out. Well, there is a reason, but it''s hard to comprehend ''saving the world.'' Personally, revenge, saving a few people that I know, a job to do (military) and even random evilness I can relate to. But past that, it''s just weird.

If I were a great wizard, I would build a big castle and bring it along with me wherever I went. I would be nice most of the time. But if I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, some penguin north of the artic circle might be found in just enough pieces to distinguish its species...

Of course, selfishness is always good. I''ll go hunt for power or gold - but only if I get to do cool things with it. For example, I like to hoard gold instead of buying things with it. It just looks cool!

I don''t think this applies, but don''t you hate it when YOU are smarter and stronger than your character until he reaches level 23 or so? It drives me nuts... I''d rather push the sunuvabitch until he falls over into a stupor and sleeps. Wimpy characters.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
quote: Original post by Ketchaval
I''d like to see more thought given to the plots of games (particularly if they are set in a realistic world). One of the main things that would be good would be to have clever reasons why the "bad guys" are doing what they are doing? (Ie. Like good spy / action / war movies do).

Ie. Not just be that "they want to destroy the whole world".
-But giving a good reason, ie. they want to undermine the political stability of a certain region.. so they can make money selling them arms.

The problem with creating a MMORPG set in a realistic world is that there are way TOO many moving parts (technology) etc.

Just the everyday things - Cars, computers, etc. How on earth can you code stuff like that into an online game?

I started to write a story line for a modern day MMORPG, but man I quit about half-way thru. I realized there was no way in heck to program what I wanted to accomplish.
hehe

The fantasy, sci-fi approach is a little easier I am finding. Of course I am just a newbie.

How about flipping it around so that the player starts out to kill a baddie who enslaving towns, and when confronted he uses them as cannon fodder and makes his escape to the next town. He is slowly building an army, but no-one can think why. The trick is that as you finish the game with the player being the baddie, with good guys out to kill him. Now, the player starts of as a good guy, but as the game progresses he becomes more and more cruel towards pretty much everyone, slowly becoming consumed by hatred, and after killing the bad guy figures that isnt enough and starts blaming everyone for his parents death. Soon he figures that the bad guy was onto a pretty good idea in the first place and starts to lead the army he created.

Good organization that''s funded by the government fights evil using an unknown technology. The technology turns out to be made of controled pure evil, so the government goes against the organization to destroy the technology, still while the evil forces are attacking. Where does the story go?

Amazingly complex storyline for you right there.

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
- The Boondock Saints
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Sometimes the bad guys just do what they do to be entertaining bad guys.

No One Lives Forever is a good example. Cate Archer gets knocked out repeatedly by the Irish Guy. The henchman asks, "Why don't you just kill her now?" And he answers, "I'll do things the way I please!"

Intelligent plots have their place, but so do plots that are there to make fun of themselves.

[edited by - Waverider on July 23, 2003 10:18:00 AM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
How about being able to play the villian, with simple goal of total world domination!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Ooo! How about you play that guy who''s trying to bring back his lost love even if it destroys the world in the process and there''s these heroes that keep popping up trying to stop you. Reverse RPG.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement