🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A career as a writer

Started by
13 comments, last by CoffeeMug 20 years, 10 months ago
Certainly you can post fiction here for comments/criticism. I have looked for a board dedicated to original science fiction and fantasy but haven''t found one - doesn''t mean there aren''t any though, I could have just been looking in the wrong places.

I don''t think a comic is so different from a novel, especially as it would be a graphic novel I would want to write, not a serial. the two projects have all the same problems of plot structure and character, they''re only different at the level of style, e.g. should I communicate this particular info to the reader with a word or an image?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by sunandshadow
I don''t think a comic is so different from a novel, especially as it would be a graphic novel I would want to write, not a serial.

You''ve mentioned the similarities, now consider the differences. Writing a comic will teach you character development and dynamics, plot building and suspense but the presentation is entirely different. Instead of describing an environment or an action with words it is drawn. The sentences are usually short and very limited. You may learn how to build a story but you won''t even touch upon presenting it with words.

A short story is similar in a sense that it is different from a novel, but the differences are in other areas. With short stories you learn how to do presentation but not how to create characters and plots as the techniques for that are entirely different in novels.

I suppose one should pick a comic or a short story depending on where they feel they need to improve their skills. I, for one, need to do a lot of comics *and* short stories before I become any good
You can post short stories and extracts here and get crits from others:

http://www.fmwriters.com/

They have a place for sf/fantasy and also have look at the Roving Crits area.
Cool, I just found an excellent course at Deakin Uni. It''s called professional writing and seems perfect for me. As the guide says: For those who have experience in writing but wish to pursue it further as a career.
*Raises hand.*

I''ve also printed out that huge post so I can read it properly and I''ll visit that site. Thanks to all.
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
Another site hosting stories is Elfwood They also have fantasy art.

[edited by - Arion on September 2, 2003 5:26:01 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement