🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

what makes Classic drama?

Started by
5 comments, last by Ketchaval 20 years, 9 months ago
What is / are the key elements that make a play "worthwhile" / long-lasting? Ie. What is it that distinguishes Hamlet, Macbeth and the like from your average B-movie? I'd hazard a guess, although other suggestions are welcome. I think that the key element might be a combination of an understanding of timeless human issues, ie. human flaws and motivations. Ie. The characters are deeper and more psychologically realistic than your average evil-overlord / superhero (James Bond etc) style characters. And their actions are influenced by their personality. How does this affect gaming? Well, if our stories are to be taken at all seriously, then they probably need to tap into human psychology, greed, love etc. The stories need to have resonance and seem to have some relevance to our lives. Rather than be stupid stories of caricature-like bad guys. (Not that there isn't a space for that too). (And do this taking into account the actions of the player too?). [edited by - Ketchaval on September 12, 2003 11:57:40 AM]
Advertisement
Wow, interesting question...I''m not master of literature or whatnot, but you asked for opinions, so I''ll pass my view of it all, being a writer and bard.

I think one of the important things in a story is the logic behind the characters'' actions. Unless the character is not of a sound mind, they should be somewhat rational. This is a prime example in classic works vs. b-movies. Here''s two contrasting examples:

Good logic -
MacBeth - Lord MacBeth is told that he would become king by the witches. He becomes so consumed with the thought, as does Lady MacBeth, that he becomes impatient and ends up murdering the king. Perhaps if the witches never got involved, he would have never been king because he wouldnt have become consumed with the thought of becoming king and thus committing murder.

Bad logic -
Jeepers Creepers - Two kids are driving down a road. After nearly being driven off a road by a maniacal driver, they pass a house, and the truck that nearly killed them is there, the driver dumping bodies into a sewer pipe. Afterwards, they get driven off the road by the same truck. The driver insists on going back to the house they passed to see if that really was dead bodies the guy dumped into the pipe. Very illogical. A normal thought would be to get out of town and call the police.

If the audience gets irritated with the character making completely illogical decisions, you can definitely lose them. So a key element is to make sure that the reasons and decisions are sound. There is never a "just because" in a good story... if a guy is going around killing ..lets say its a fantasy fiction story, and say hes killing elves....then there should be a logical reasoning behind it; whether it be that he is an evil race that kills good natured creatures, or maybe hes a human whose father was killed in a war between elves and humans needlessly, or whatnot. A good story has an explanation and the logic and actions of the characters makes sense.

Theres more things, but I have to cut this short for now.

Hmm, I''ll agree that logic is important. But I think that I would have to say the main difference between pulp and literature would be the depth and range of emotions. It has to have both - lots of pulp stories have one intense emotion (greed, lust, despair, etc.), or a variety of mild emotions, but it takes good character construction and character backstory creation and character dynamic design to get multiple intense emotions out of the same story.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

quote: Original post by Ketchaval
What is / are the key elements that make a play "worthwhile" / long-lasting? Ie. What is it that distinguishes Hamlet, Macbeth and the like from your average B-movie?

Business acumen? Was Shakespeare a better businessman than his contemporaries, with a stronger marketing identity? Maybe that''s part of why we remember him much moreso than others. Fast forward to the late 20th century, and there''s a helluva lot more media vying for everyone''s attention. Zillions and zillions of authors... who ends up winning the Battle For The Eyeballs?

Brandon Van Every, 3DProgrammer, Seattle, WA
20% of the world is real. 80% is gobbledygook we make up inside our own heads.
Cheers, Brandon J. Van Every(cruise (director (of SeaFunc) '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))
quote: Original post by Ketchaval
What is / are the key elements that make a play "worthwhile"

and the secret word is....

Pathos.

Adventuredesign

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

LOL :-D A one word post by adventuredesign ? In the Writing forum ?!

Funnily I would have thought catharsis, myself. Perhaps it''s just me who like to experience such feeling I guess ?

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by ahw
Funnily I would have thought catharsis, myself. Perhaps it''s just me who like to experience such feeling I guess ?

I would say the opposite of catharsis actually - the great book is the one that disturbs you in some way, so that you keep thinking about it.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement