🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Writer looking for team.

Started by
10 comments, last by wes 20 years, 8 months ago
Hello im a writer looking for a team to work with. Id say im very creative i always aproach a particular situation with all views and find a unique solution. Id say i have a good amount of experience in storytelling and im also a average WorldCraft and UnrealEd mapper so if your modding for one of them than i might be able to help there also. Ive been writing basically since i was a 7 or 8 i remember writing short horror stories (which ended me up in consueling at age 9 btw lol). Im also well versed in philosophy so the storys i write have many deep philosophical insights. If i can be of any help email me at wes_in_himer@hotmail.com. Thanks for reading this.
Advertisement
Oh i also wanted to add that im very creative when it comes to coming up with original gameplay ideas (infact i have a rpg on the back burner thats gonna blow final fantasy away if i ever get to make it).
I added you to my MSN.. Been looking for a writer for awhile, you sound cool. (vvebmaster@hotmail.com)
I do not doubt that you are a good writer, but there are some discrepancies with what you have said.

You said that you are well-versed in philsophy, and so the stories you write have many philosophical insights. Now, are they really philosophical insights, or are they just retellings of various philosophies? For example, Matrix: Reloaded was supposedly very philosophical, but in reality, its "philosophical" aspect was merely a load of spewing out philosophical CONCEPTS taught in philosophy courses. There is a difference between philosophical insights and philosophical concepts, but I trust what you say, so I believe that your stories, indeed, have the said insights.

Additionally, you said that you have an RPG on the back burner that shall blow FF away if you ever have the chance to make it. Perhaps you are an exception to the trend, but tons of gamers out there who have the premature desire to enter the game industry all say that they could make a better game than [insert company here, namely a successful one]. Remember that it is not just the story that makes an RPG great. You need a great development team as well to actually effectively incorporate and present your ideas.

The first isse to tackle is this: have you written game design documents and a script for that RPG (or any game that you desire to make)? Or in the case that you have not written such and have no game planned, I hope that you shall write such (the game design documents and the script).
First of all let me apologize for taking so long to respond to this, i dont come here often. I totally understand what you mean by saying that many movie,games..etc. just spew out concepts. What i would like to do is basically have the story make the player ask questions to him/herself, something that we would reflect on in our daily lives. The story would serve somewhat like a giant question the player would come to realize and ask themselves.

Many of the things i would like to present to the player is how to think for themselves than being another sheep in the herd.I realize what your saying about premature game developers saying they have a idea that will blow away some other game.
I personally think the idea that i carry is very good. Ive tried to get a development team together but it always seems to fall through. I believe me being into philosophy has allowed me to play around with ideas more than others, this has allowed me to come up with a couple of unique solutions to problems in rpg gameplay today.

I wrote a design document on the game about 6 months ago (although it has changed since then)but after awhile all the programmers that i was approaching just stopped caring, they never cared to put out effort. I also have began to write the script, but im not concrete on anything, at the time im studying different forms of media to see how they convey things in words, metaphors...etc.
Good luck with your idea, Wes, but I have a word of warning prompted by your comment about "[blowing] Final Fantasy away". If you look on the back of the box for the PS2 game Eternal Ring, you will find the comment, "who said fantasies have to be final?" In their case, they did. Don't say a game will be better than another until it exists. I hope, however, your game is better than Final Fantasy, because SquareSoft (or Square-Enix) has been releasing horrid games lately. I don't mean to say that I have doubts in your ability, because I believe that you can write a great game (even though I don't know much about you). All I want to do is make sure you don't get too over inflated and make a game which doesn't come out how you intend. The worst thing a programer can have happen is to misinterperet their ideas or have their ideas misinterpereted (sp on both). Once again, good luck,
Richard

By the way, if you don't mind, could you post perhaps just a bit of your game here so that those interested can judge whether they want to hire you. It's hard without a sample of your work.

[edited by - RichardMV on October 28, 2003 10:20:03 AM]
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
Well first off thanks for the nice words. I suppose saying it will blow Final Fantasy away is kind of ignorant, but maybe i should explain myself more. The way i look at it with SquareEnix is that them being so far ahead of the back as far as technology goes, they nolonger have to innovate. Nothing seems fresh, it always ends up being a refinement of old.

Even the character personalities seem to be written in stone. If you look into Psychology youll discover there is probably around 6 other personality types seen often that is ignored by media to exploit for player relation. The reason i say it will blow away Final Fantasy is that i believe i have gotten out of these "rule ruts" and im constantly moving closer to a truly all around original project rather than just a refinement.

So im wanting to blow them away as far as bringing in completely new concepts, something RPGs are lacking today. As far as technology and such i could never beat SE inless i had deep pockets. I think SE has been resting to long on their laterals, although there games i believe are very high quality, they are in the perfect position to take RPGs to the next level but refuse to.

I will post some of my work here either later tonight or tomorrow, right now i just got off work and i need to grab me something to eat and do some other things.

With some of Squaresoft''s (or Square-Enix) latest games, it shouldn''t be hard to do better in terms of story . I would just like to know what it is about your story that would blow FF out of the water, as it were. By the way, have you played Xenosaga? If not, I suggest you do, the story is phenomenal, and far superior to anything Squaresoft ever created.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
Yes i have played Xenosaga, its one of my favorite RPGs next to Lunar. Here is my basic storyline, keyword basic-it wont cntain any info about further story developments:

The game is set in medieval times, theres 2 kingdoms on the main continent of this planet. King John who is notoriously known for killing and torturing others from other kingdoms and even from within his own. The other, King Henry,is benevolent hes the first king who has treated everyone within his kingdom with respect and love.

Both of these Kingdoms are on the verge of having war over territory. Both Kingdoms sit literally right beside each other keeping them both from expanding. A treatie is then signed between the two Kingdoms to keep peace, suprisingly this treaty is put forth by King John. Although to commoners this was a big deal, it was merely a trick.

King John noticed that Henry held a much larger area of the territory and could easily destroy him and his Kingdom is one swift attack. So King John sets up a plan, a plan to attack and cripple Henry's most powerful Vassals as well as other ways of sabotage.

This is the basics you start out knowing at the beginning of the game. You start off as a merciless Knight under King John who will lead this attack, your opening mission will be to attack a town that a large amount of Henry's weaponry is manufactured. Your later missions will be other ways of sabotage, for example poisoning their main river. These attacks you will be leading are done within a span of a short week before full fledge war (the finale) takes place.

Underneth all of this is many philosophical questions about morals, freedom, and human nature that the player will come across and will be applyed to the storyline and hopfully the player will apply them to him/herself. Well thats it, if you would like to know more (central characters for example) about the storyline or want me to elaborate more on certain parts let me know and ill post more.

[edited by - wes on November 1, 2003 9:14:43 PM]
In addressing morals, you could have a "mysterious voice of wisdom", who will be representative of the main characters conflicting thoughts. For example, as the main character storms a town, a figure appears, asking "why do people fight?" When the main character turns to look, there is no one there. I feel that using an apparition like this allows for the player to more easily see the morals of the story unfold, without totally blasting them with an obvious hint. After all, it would defeat the purpose of making the player think if you tell them flat out what you are trying to say. Perhaps to do this, the mysterious figure could talk only in questions. Just wanted to put forward that idea. I like your story, by the way. Since I am working on a project of my own, I won''t be able to work with you, but if you need one or two things, perhaps I can make a MIDI or two.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement