🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

More about Nethack

Started by
3 comments, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 12 months ago
I just wanted to point out that Nethack is still a great game. Not only because it''s all gameplay and it doesn''t fawn over graphics, but it also proves a few things about games and game design. Nethack doesn''t really have a story, and it''s all hack and slash. I think that these days, everybody is putting too much emphasis on stories, characters, etc. Sure, we denounce people who are obsessed with technology over gameplay, but are stories and characters as insanely important as we sometimes make them out to be? I''m not against having a good story and cool characters, I implement them in most of my games, but we shouldn''t always be putting an insane amount of emphasis on them. Gameplay will always be the most important thing, everything else is secondary. P.S. I''m not against graphics either. - DarkMage139 "Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!" "Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
Advertisement
Could it be that if the gameplay was good enough, and there was enough variation, that players would always have their own stories to tell?
SonicSilcion, yeah, that''s what I''d like to see...

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Yeah, that could happen...

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
Ya know what somebody should do? A complex interaction system like Nethack with modern graphics and menus. Though it is
probably a daunting task, doing something like that from scratch.
That game actually had humour. i mean, how many frigging ways
was there to die, anyway? Today''s eyecandy-stuff seem like
children scribblings in comparison.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement