🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

very strange idea

Started by
47 comments, last by Zao Martyr 20 years, 6 months ago
Ever wonder what the afterlife might be like? Well Ive had this strange yet original idea for an RPG/Adventure game that might just have some merit. In the game you would be a transient or ghost-like being that represents the distraught soul of a teenager who recently committed suicide. You would travel throughout the sub-conscience and conscience of the teenager in an effort to sort out his enigmatic thoughts and finally bring peace to his soul. Throughout the game you would venture through many foreign lands and defeat an array of strange creatures that haunt the teens soul. And while doing this you would learn various theoretical aspects about my visualization of heaven and the afterlife. And after beating the game your soul would ascend to heaven and acheive ultimate peace. I think it sounds very strange and deep and its probably pretty close to impossible to accurately execute a game like that but I want your opinion! Is there anything that should be added/taken away? And why?
"Yes it is I, the type of egotistical fool that would dare qoute himself." -Myself
Advertisement
sounds like alundra 2 and geist on gc
and i know another game like this in jap
well it''s NOT exactly the same you said

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Take out the "battling strange creatures" part. I think something like this works best as an adventure -- you''d have to defeat creatures, but only through dialogue. Action-like fighting just wouldn''t fit. If your aim is bad or reflexes too slow, what would that have to do with battling one''s inner demons? Nothing.

It''s a tricky type of game to do... good luck.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
quote: Original Post by Neoshaman
sounds like alundra 2 and geist on gc
and i know another game like this in jap
well it''s NOT exactly the same you said

never heard of em. I should probably check em out though

quote: Original Post by CGameProgrammer
If your aim is bad or reflexes too slow, what would that have to do with battling one''s inner demons? Nothing.

You have an almost good point. In the real world reflexes and aim have absolutely nothing to do with battling inner demons... but remember this takes place inside someones mind, where everything is symbolic in nature.

Anyways thanks for the input!
"Yes it is I, the type of egotistical fool that would dare qoute himself." -Myself

Are the creatures a physical representation of emotional turmoil, or symbolize life events and struggles ? Putting emotional upheaval into a physical form helps deal with inner struggles.

To some extent, though not in a the darker approach you take, this has been done in Michael Endes, The Neverending story. In a a fantasy world where creature, places, things all came to symbolize real life struggles. It worked very well in this story.

You are taking a deeper, darker path and instead of creating a fantasy world, there is a more believable struggle that connected more directly to the character. This creates a much more dramatic effect. Especially if one can relate in some way to the character.

The approach could be as enigmatic as the situation represented in what brought the character to this end. A purely physical approach would fail when dealing with complicated spiritual issues. They could be as complicated as the character himself. Doing this on that level would be a difficult task but would offer an interesting approach.
mmmh, you might wanna read up on two pen n paper RPGs, created by White Wolf. The first is called Wraith and the second (released last month to "replace" the previous, kind of) is called Orpheus.
In the first you play a ... wraith. A soul that couldnt resolve to die, and because of "fetters" binding to his life on Earth lives on in the Shadowlands. It''s a very developed universe with a lot of possibilities. Sadly it wasnt very succesful commercially, as it happens too often in gaming. The theme is quite mature, which explains it mostly.
The second one I havent played yet, but basically you play a human that, through technology or other means, explore the land of the Dead and deal with wraiths.
It''s all very well explained on the homepage of White Wolf
For Wraith you gonna have to look a little bit more as it''s not published anymore. The advantage is that there is a lot of material on the Net to give you an idea of what''s going on.

hope you enjoy

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
not to be overly imposing, but you could have the kid''s soul be moving through differnt religion''s versions of heaven and or afterlife, trying to superimpose the kid''s life symbolicly into each level. it could develope the sense of searching for answers that many teens do, and being that he commited suicide, he may himself be wanting answers thus lending to the game''s plot.
you could explore multiple avenues of afterlife in multiple elvels ,culminating in what ever your final vision is. i think that would be a cool game.
So far Ive gotten some pretty good responses (keep em coming!)

I still dont think most of you are sure how the story will work

Here is a little more detailed explanation of the game:

After commiting suicide the main character struggles within the confines of himself... Not only is he looking to peice back together his life, but he is searching for answers that the living world doesnt even have the capability of understanding.

So basicly during the course of the game the characters "soul" battles many odd creatures that represent the characters evil thoughts and demons that caused him to commit suicide in the first place. Upon defeating these baddies, he will learn from them and gain new insight and abilities until he beats all of his demons.

And at this point he will realise the many religions that man has conjured up throughout our existence doesnt even matter anymore. This is mainly because the character discovers that there is one true path that cannot be bound nor classified as a certain religion such as buddhism, islam, christianity etc.

And having defeated his demons and troubles, he will remember all of the "good" that he has accomplished and then he will ascend to [heaven, valhala, nirvana, whatever...]

Think I''m crazy yet?
That would be interesting... "I am a pretty good guy after all... maybe I will go to Val Halla and kill stuff for the rest of my life.."

Actually, I myself was working on an idea like this. Be sure to include some nightmarish stuff too - teddybears that will rip your heart out, pulsing walls, silent "friends" from your life just staring at you, SCHOOL...

Also, what kind of characters would be friends of the player? If the story is strang, so should the characters... like a blind guy with nails stuck in his head or something(that was one of the characters i was thinking about for my game, but i will probably never make it, so its yours if you want it.)

Finally, who would be the ''final boss''? Himself?

Hope you make it somewhere with that idea. It''s a fun one to play with.
Argh, yuck! Yuck yuck yuck! Angst, dark, depressive gothy "feel the dark pityful torment of my darkened soul" stuff. Me no likes at all! Yuck yuck yuck...

However, I love the overall idea. Quests focusing on saving oneself are quite welcomed when you consider that there''s pretty much no such thing as a quest that doesn''t involve saving the world nowadays. Not to say those aren''t dang good but...

I can think of a number of games that deal with facing one''s inner demons (heck, even the SNES game "Earthbound" did it at one point Breath of Fire II (which just... owns any other RPG hands down solely because it has Katt :D) did it too. Or was it the first one?). None ever based the game on it though. It could be rather interesting to see how that would turn out!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement