🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

mecha storyline

Started by
11 comments, last by vaneger 20 years, 8 months ago
what are some good ways to avoid the mecha cliche if i still want to do a mecha storyline? (for those uninformed, mecha is a term for giant robot, a la Gundam Wing ,Macross, or Transformers)
Advertisement
What do you mean by "Mecha Cliche"?
"...."
i will answer that. it means something like...

I am (insert generic name here), the only hope to save the world. I do this with the help of (insert robot name), who is also my best friend. Without me the world would end. I am unstoppable...

you get the idea.

Some suggestions would be to change the setting. and size. Small, human sized robots/armor running around in a city like that in Blade runner would be pretty sweet. And how about a main character other than the generic teenager? maybe a girl...
I still don''t get the idea behind the mecha cliche, I have seen few mecha shows that it is just one guy in a giant robot and without him the world would see to be, save maybe Escaflowne, but that is not to say that mecha shows are not cliche in other ways. If you want to avoid the cliche that the anonymous poster said though, along with his suggestions, there are many things you can do. You could completely change the idea of what a mecha is. For example, traditionally mecha''s are robotic. Make them organic living creatures that have been bred in such a way that they can be implanted with electronics that allow humans to pilot them. Evangelion did this, as the Eva''s were really synthetic angels that have plugs that can be inserted into them in order to be piloted, and since they are living creatures, they did have a mind of their own, which is what caused them to go bezerker at times throughout the series. You could also make mecha common place, like a car is today. Everyone has mechs, but few have the know how to convert their mech into a fighting machine, and those that do have gone rogue and tried forming their own gangs. Also, remember that following a cliche is not always a bad thing, as it creates a sense of familiarity with the person playing the game, just make sure you add different twists to it in order to make it unlike other games and shows.
"...."
The problem with making a Mecha game without the Mecha cliche is that you are already presupposing parts of the Mecha cliche. You are asking "How do I make a game about giant robots that isn''t like games about giant robots?" And the answer is don''t make it about the same giant robots.

Here''s some suggestions, in the Socratic vein:

* It''s kind of a stupid idea to put a person inside a giant robot if you don''t absolutely have to--after all, why not just control it remotely? What ramifications would this have, and how can you leverage that into interesting gameplay?

* Mech games I''ve seen concentrate solely on the pilot. Who else would be involved in the process? Keep in mind that only a very small percentage of people in a national air force are pilots. What other interesting roles are there?

* Why would a mech be anthropomorphic? A mech that spends all its time in space doesn''t need to look like anything in particular; one that runs around on the ground only needs form for mobility. What non-human forms might work better? Tank? Spider? Dolphin?

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
NGE ruled. And what type of game are you desiderating? Is it an RPG (Action RPG no doubt), Action-adventure, or possibly Simulation? I have yet to see a great Mecha Action RPG (am playing Xenosaga now...not even close...but still a great game), and thus your game would be welcome, not cliche. And I would agree that the robot should be made in a better image than a human.

DON''T COPY THAT FLOPPY!
----------Invincible intelligence isn't evincible.
An idea that I have been tossing around in my head is to have a small group of mecha''s, ~8-12 feet tall preforming transportation of contraband of some nature (some form of illegal drugs most likely) over rough/dangourous terrian.

The World of in the game would be mostly ground and air travel would have to be impractiacal, either due to weather or some sort of "radar" used by law enforcment(similer to heavy gear). This places a belivable envoriment for the unit to operate in and gives a good amount of conflict. Encouters can be between goverment employed rangers, city guards, and bandits found in the wild. You can also add the constant presure of needing new equipment and reparing the old, buy fuel and making deals conntacts with various shippers.

- the Reverend Null
I''ve always been fond of a police force made up of humans and imposing (enh, 12-15 feet) mechanical suits. The story line has been beaten, but not to death (Appleseed and Jin-Roh). The story could perhaps be based on what you think police might typically be handline.. giving tickets, stopping criminals from robbing a 7-11, or beating back rioters while in a gunfight with a drug cartel. The story itself doesn''t have to revolve around the robots.. it could instead revolve around the members of the police force and their personal problems? If for a game, this could be difficult to pull off.. being more suited to a book or movie.. but could be done..
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
falkones got the right idea, the robots need not be the focus of the story just part of the gameplay. a game to take a look at (if youve got an xbox) is phantom crash, not much of a story but the robots you fought in really had little to do with it. PatLabour is also something to look at. great storyline. also gasaraki is another anime worthy of mention, particularly if you like lots of political intrigue. you could look at Full Metal Panic, but i find it very generic.
another idea, why not do a parody of mecha story lines? something that takes itself as seriously as mecha is just crying out to have a send up
i personally always enjoyed the Heavy Gear universe. lots of political factions plus earth always trying to screw things up.
there are plenty of options open to you.

Get busy livin'' or get busy dyin''... - Shawshank Redemption
Altered Vision
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'... - Shawshank RedemptionIf a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong? - UnknownFulcrum
I think you can directly avoid the cliche giant fighting robot story real easy if you just keep the mindset that these robots are mass-produced tools and the pilot has no connection to them onces he''s left the cockpit. Right there you totally step around the problem. I''m making the suposition that this story would go hand in hand with a game, I''d make the mecha a type of volitile equipment. You can limit the number of course, but allow the player to mix and match Units and Pilots. The thinking is that if a pilot and a mecha can''t become considered a distinct inseperable pair, then you can''t associate any mysticism to the machines.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement