🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

story niche

Started by
3 comments, last by Parker_777 20 years, 8 months ago
I love space shooters, but somehow can''t seem to "visualize" my worlds. I''ve been trying to see it in my mind, but it won''t quite come together to build my models and levels. But I also love the era of 1850-early 1900''s. I don''t know if this will work or not and if gamers will want to play this type of game... I love fps and am thinking of doing one in the era mentioned above. This would involve gothic castles, sewers, city settings, mines, trains, boats...so I can come up with some interesting settings for that time period. Do you think gamers will go for this? I am working on a story with depth to the plot and characters that the player can care about. The player will be able to pick up clues (documents, things picked up, etc) and talk to other characters (not just through cutscenes). Do you think the "shooter" players will accept a little more than just shooting in their games? I''m doing a very great "historical" stretch in designing "strange" weapons for that era as... 1. I do not know how weapons in that time period felt and reacted to shoot. 2. I want to give players more of a weapons option. (ie, a "homemade" flamethrower that works with a pump you have to pump; a crude "machine gun" that sometimes hangs up - so swich weapons and it works the next time you choose it) Will this type of thing work or won''t it be accepted? I''m not going so much for historical accuracy as to choose a different environment/era to play in. I''m trying to do something a little different than what is seen on the store shelves and also like that time period. I know this is not an original idea and am not trying to pass it off as such. Any input would be greatly appreciated. And if this won''t work, tell me to go back to space.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Parker_777
But I also love the era of 1850-early 1900's. I don't know if this will work or not and if gamers will want to play this type of game...
Why not?
quote:
I love fps and am thinking of doing one in the era mentioned above. This would involve gothic castles, sewers, city settings, mines, trains, boats...so I can come up with some interesting settings for that time period. Do you think gamers will go for this?
Why not?
quote:
I am working on a story with depth to the plot and characters that the player can care about. The player will be able to pick up clues (documents, things picked up, etc) and talk to other characters (not just through cutscenes). Do you think the "shooter" players will accept a little more than just shooting in their games?
Maybe you don't want to cater to the 'shooter' player after all. I suggest you stop worrying about the simplistic mindsets of your imagined client base, and instead worry about quality and depth within your own product.
quote:
I'm doing a very great "historical" stretch in designing "strange" weapons for that era as... 1. I do not know how weapons in that time period felt and reacted to shoot. 2. I want to give players more of a weapons option. (ie, a "homemade" flamethrower that works with a pump you have to pump; a crude "machine gun" that sometimes hangs up - so swich weapons and it works the next time you choose it) Will this type of thing work or won't it be accepted?
Now it sounds like you're substituting half baked ideas for any real inspiration from the time period you claim to like so much. If you truly like the time period in question so much, there would be no end to material from that time period.
quote:
I'm not going so much for historical accuracy as to choose a different environment/era to play in. I'm trying to do something a little different than what is seen on the store shelves and also like that time period. I know this is not an original idea and am not trying to pass it off as such.
You're right. It isn't that original. I'm not trying to get down on your idea, but I can't help but think that you want to substitute a mish mash of material for what I would call a void of inspiration based on a whole conglomeration of real things.

When I think of the era of the 1850s to the 1900s, I think of cowboys, gatling guns, 4-4-0 locomotives, Wells Fargo strongboxes, horses, cattle, longhorns, Comanches, the Goodnight Trail, Cerro Gordo, the Bessie Brady and the Mollie Stevens, twenty mule teams, carriage driving, sorrels, bays, appaloosas, the Nez Perce, Steeldust, horse races down main street, poker, pocket roulette, ankle holsters, blacksmithing, vernier sights, mustangs, buffalos, plains people, the horse culture of the Indians, George Catlin, Albert Bierstadt, John Mix Stanley, Thomas Moran, black and white 8" x 10" portrait photography, the gold rush, Wyatt Earp, Dodge City, Tombstone, Clarence King, Theodore Solomons, Bodie, the Carson and Colorado narrow gauge, silver bullion stacking up in blocks on the shore of Swansea at Owens Lake, Ramon Adams Six-Guns and Saddle Leather , Ramon Adams The Rampaging Herd , Charles Siringo's A Texas Cowboy: or Fifteen Years on the Hurricane Deck of a Spanish Pony , the works of J. Frank Dobie, including A Vaquero of the Brush Country , Robert Denhardt's The Horse of the Americas , the King Ranch, rattlesnakes, Sam Bass, Sam's Denton mare, spurs, romal reins, free grazing...

[edited by - bishop_pass on October 6, 2003 10:58:51 PM]
This story is not a "western" but more like a Jack-the-Ripper type story where you are going after criminal/s or Dr. Frankenstein/Jekyll or Jules Verne type sf put to game. (I''m writing the design document for one, but want to develop others of this same type in the future.) No, this game is not a combination of the above.

"Why not?" Because you don''t see much of this on the shelves, so I''m assuming that players aren''t interested in this sort of thing. There''s way too much work that goes into a game not to have someone play it.

Many fps don''t have a lot of depth to characters and story, so was hoping to add a little more adventure-type to mine.

You are probably right on my mish-mashing of weapons bishop_pass, but since this type of thing has been done in James Bond, Wild Wild West and SF Past (Jules Verne), so thought it would work here.
quote: Original post by Parker_777
This story is not a "western" but more like a Jack-the-Ripper type story where you are going after criminal/s or Dr. Frankenstein/Jekyll or Jules Verne type sf put to game.
It doesn't matter. Your genre requires just as much background material, enthusiasm and knowledge as mine. You should be able to cite as many sources and things off the top of your head as I did for your setting.
quote:
You are probably right on my mish-mashing of weapons bishop_pass, but since this type of thing has been done in James Bond, Wild Wild West and SF Past (Jules Verne), so thought it would work here.
You are aware that Jules Verne was heavily versed in the sciences and maritime activities, Ian Fleming worked for MI6, and the creator of the Wild West was certainly a student of Western lore, are you not?

[edited by - bishop_pass on October 7, 2003 12/31/1899]
If you want ideas, check out the League of Extraordinary Gentleman comic books. If you can't borrow them from your local library (my city library has an excellent graphics novel section), or you can probably find them on the shelf at a Borders or Barnes and Noble (since the movie came out).

Excellent Steampunk weird sci-fi stuff.

[edited by - SteevR on October 8, 2003 3:55:03 AM]
-Steven RokiskiMetatechnicality

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement