🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D-Ego-Shooter-Story

Started by
0 comments, last by Pityworm2 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi everybody, I am writing a 3de-go-shooter that have the following story: In the future (the year is 2325) and after WWIII the EarthLeague was founded but in internal struggles the EarthLeague had been destroyed and now five houses (Nexus, Japan, Marcos, Lisa and of Sun) fought each other. You are a CyberWarrior -- half human, half machine -- who fought for the Commonwealth - an alliance between two houses (of Suns and Lisa). In the story you must fight through missions. At some point of the story the player is being caught and can choose between two houses (Commonwealth and Nexus). If the player plays Commonwealth he can play some more missions until he is get caught again and must choose again. This time he only can choose Nexus or the game is over. What do you think of this idea? Pityworm2
Advertisement
I think that linear storytelling ( = fixed order missions) is not the future of games. I think you should use a hierarchical misson system, which gives the player some choice. Some of them need others to be completed - this requires some basic Boolean logic. It would be even better if you used fuzzy logic.

For example:
M3 req {M1 0.4, M2 0.1, M4 0.2}, results {H1 +0.1, H2 +0.15, H3 -0.4, money +$1000}

Which means that to choose this mission you must have completed mission one at least to 40%, mission two to 10% and four to 20%. When you complete Mission3, the House1 will like you 10% more, House2 15%, but H3 will dislike you by 40%. And you will get 1000 bucks, or whatever. See ? (If a House likes you much, it may offer you to work for them.)

To go further, you can put fuzzy variables in the requirements and the results too. For example: if you complete some missions that may result in your house hating some person, they might offer you a mission assassinate him.

BTW do you have an engine to use ?

Gonosz

ps. sorry for my English

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement