🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Forum Game, Evolve!

Started by
22 comments, last by sunandshadow 20 years, 8 months ago
Since a lot of people expressed enthusiasm for the concept of an evolution game in this thread, I thought it might make a fun subject for a forum game! ^_^ Since we haven''t had one of these in a while I''ll recap the rules. - Anyone can start a forum game (but in practice it''s always me ) - To start a forum game, list a subject (in this case evolution), give some random ingredients for people to start with and any additional criteria that amuse you. So: The object of this forum game is for us all to cooperatively come up with a design for a game about evolution. Your starter words are: blue, social darwinism, genetic destiny, Kendra (a name), artificial phenotype, mutate, dandelion, speciate, be fruitful and multiply, sport (this means a sterile mutant), efficient, evolutionary psychology, fractal, helix, sexual politics, biological imperative, "humans are animals too", and (in honor of Drevay ) albino. - When you take a turn, you may respond by suggesting some way to combine the starter words, you may specify how one or more starter words may be incorporated into the game design, and/or you may contribute random ingredients of your own. Names, plot, worldbuilding, game design decisions, more random words... anything''s fair game. - Try not to take two turns in a row. Or contradict anything anyone has previously contributed.) And that''s all the rules there are! So, what are you wating for? GoGoGo! ^_^

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
It is better for humans to treat animals as humans than for humans to treat humans as animals.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Ummm, this is dumb?
uhm, if there wouldnt be 2 mods at the top i would suggest that the game ban''s ideas, that cant evolve

sry i dont get the rules...

T2k
quote: Original post by sagwagon
Ummm, this is dumb?

Why do you think that? Forum games have been very popular in the past, and we already established that evolution is popular. We just need to get a good start to get people enthused.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

quote: Original post by T2k
uhm, if there wouldnt be 2 mods at the top i would suggest that the game ban''s ideas, that cant evolve

Technically, that which lacks a genome of somekind and a mechanism of adaptation cannot evolve. However, ideas most certainly change over time - the proposition is set forth would have been a very radical one 150 years ago.

quote: Original post by T2k
sry i dont get the rules...

I don''t either, that''s why I dropped the proposition with a question mark.

sunandshadow, why don''t you get the game started with an example?

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Hmm, I'm guessing that the idea here is to throw out ideas for a game with evolution in it. Since I've thought about this before, I'll keep a few of my choicer ideas to myself.

Zill - An artificially created biomechanical creature able to evolve, mutate and adapt in response to a verity of stimuli.

Kendra - The name of the Martian development plan. In response to the growing problem of over population and the dwindling levels of natural resources, As well as the ever escalating civil unrest and social problems that resulted from these facts, Kendra was born. The bold plan is to transform Mars into a new home for Humanity, at the centre of this plan where the use of the Zill. Kendra called for scattering of thousands of Zill across this surface of mars. Able to adapt to any circumstance as well evolve new skills and attributes the Zill where the perfect choice to work collectively to develop mars.

Disaster enroute - While entering orbit of Mars the massive seed ship known as the Ark was destroyed by a massive explosion cause unknown. The incident destroyed the ship killing the human crew and showered wreckage down on Mars for 40 days and nights. The surviving Zill many badly damaged with critical logical and memory errors. Found themselves alone without human controllers and set about to complete there last programmed instructions as best as they could reconstruct.

Spontaneous Protective Adaptation - In response to potentially fatal situations there is chance the Zill will immediately evolve the necessary adaptation to survive.

Absorption - The ability of a Zill to absorb another Zill and incorporate its biological and mechanical patterns into itself.

Main charater - An unprogramed Zill awoken from stais several years after the destruction of the Ark.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I'm a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

[edited by - TechnoGoth on October 26, 2003 6:29:01 PM]
Okay, I must not have explained clearly enough. If you''re confused, why don''t you go read this thread, it was one of the more successful of the previous forum games.

I didn''t want to start this myself because 1) I don''t want my ideas to dominate the game, and 2) all my evolution ideas went into the Gimmie Those Wings! design and I don''t want to duplicate that here... but, if I have to go first to get the game started, then I will.

Hmm... Okay, taking two of the starter words, we get a character, Kendra the albino. Hopefully everyone knows that an albino is a person or animal with no skin pigmentation, such that her hair is white, her skin pinkish-white, and her eyes pink. Now, albinos tend to sunburn easily, so Kendra, if she wants to go out in the day, has to wrap herself up thoroughly, which results in her looking very mysterious, perhaps androgynous. ^_^ So lets make her not the main character, but the mysterious npc you''re not sure whether they''re a villain or not.

So, what is Kendra''s power? What is her weapon? Is she nobility, a theif, a priestess, someone disenherited or banished, a mage, a vampire, a shapechanger, half unicorn...? Are there rumors about her? What rumors?

Who is our main character? How does he first encounter Kendra? (Remember to keep her mysterious!) What is his power, weapon, class, etc? What kind of world is he in? Who are the villains? Where do the genetics come in?

Is that better?

As far as the rumours went, Kendra''s skin pigmentation was taken from her by a dark group of warlocks aptly named ''The Evolutioners''. They were said to have studied evolutionary psychology, and carried out sick operations on humans, mutating them in bizzare, deformed ways, trying to speed up the evolution rate.

But this IS just a rumour, told by a old crazy arab. As for ''The Evolutioners'', these are definatley not rumour, and are well known and feared in this world...

(Go easy on me, this is my first go at this! )
Life is all about expression, so express yourself.
Taking the "humans are animals too" theme, lets say that humans are sought after for their skin by another species that has evolved to or beyond our level of intelligence, and are farmed or hunted. Albino skin is especially sought after, which has led to genetic experiments being carried out by groups like The Evolutioners to try to artificially bring about this condition. There has only ever been one success in the field, and the specimen managed to escape. These particular experiments make up just a small part of The Evolutioners'' schedule of sick operations.

Why is albino skin so sought after? From what did this other species evolve? Why do The Evolutioners want to evolve humans?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement