🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Someone named Dimon

Started by
10 comments, last by Chentzilla 20 years, 8 months ago
Hello. There's a protagonist in the game we are designing. His name is Dimon (short colloquial of Dimitry). What would you think about a character with such a name, what associations it evokes? The question is for English-speaking people first, but for all others as well. Oh, and one more name for you to discuss: Kolyan. [edited by - Chentzilla on October 31, 2003 5:31:24 AM]
Advertisement
he is obviously a spawn of Satan. Possibly, since he is the protagonist, the son of the Great Horned One himself.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Dimon sounds a little evil (like "demon" or "die-mon", perhaps).

EDIT: It could also be mistaken by a viewer for a typo (Simon instead of Dimon, since the keys s and d are next to each other on the keyboard)

[edited by - Alimonster on October 31, 2003 6:34:36 AM]
Yeah, it definitely makes me think of demon, but also digimon.
The name does sound like demon, but in the PS2 game Xenosaga, one of the characters is named Chaos. This character is a good person, and in no way personifies his name, as far as I know (it is a five part series, and only the first game is out). Just because it sounds like something doesn''t make it a bad name to use. If that''s the name you like, I don''t think it will confuse or anger anyone if you use it. Also, it can be prononced almost like diamond, which could be good also (the diamond in the rough, for instance). Kolyan sounds the most like colon to me, but the difference is enough for it not to bother me. What is this game about? That may help in interpereting the names. You don''t have to go too much into detail, just some general ideas, such as what happens in the first hour, or something.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
I know nothing about russian, but wouldn''t it make more sense to abbreviate Dimitry as Dimi or Deme? I suppose you wouldn''t want to call him Dim, lol.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You know, there are even weirder short names in Russian. Could you ever imagine that Alexander is also Sasha and Shurik? It amazed even me when I was young. So Dimon is some non-formal short name for Dmitry. The teenagers may call each other this way, but the mother will call her child Dima.
Speaking of the game, it''s a freestyle street-racing simulator (I believe something like Fast and Furious , it''s mentioned in design document).
quote: Original post by Chentzilla
You know, there are even weirder short names in Russian. Could you ever imagine that Alexander is also Sasha and Shurik?

Actually, I know someone who is Alexandra, but goes by Sasha. A little off topic, I know, but I just thought I''d add that.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
reminds of an wizards apprentice that flunked out of school.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

My first thought on seeing the name Dimon was a wierd little flashback to Timon and Pumbaa singing Hakuna Matata. It hurt.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem: Lands of Shadow, an isometrically rendered hack-and-slash inspired equally by Nethack and Diablo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement