🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Name that Myth!

Started by
3 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 20 years, 8 months ago
Okay, I''m trying to remember the mythological origin of a story I remember reading years ago. I''ll summarize what I remember, and you have to try to help me figure out what it was, okay? Here we go. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Back in the past, a guy got mad at wind for some reason and so he decided to kill the big bird that creates wind by flapping its wings on a mountaintop far away. He tells the other members of his tribal unit about his plan, and the wiser ones warn him not to fool around with wind, but he goes anyway. He gets to the mountain after an appropriately arduous journey and starts climbing. The higher he gets, the stronger the wind becomes. It blows the sandals off of his feet, and he climbs barefoot. It blows the clothes off of his body, and he climbs naked. It blows the hair off of his head, and he climbs bald. Finally he reaches the top, kills the bird, and descends. When he gets back to his village he finds that a windless world sucks. Crops are failing for want of rain, sea travel is hampered, etc. etc. So he goes back to the mountain and manages to resurrect or replace or become the bird somehow, and everyone learns a valuable lesson. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That''s all I remember. Anyone recognize it? It''s been driving me crazy for a few weeks now. I''m hoping to use a similar story, but have the climb be a little tougher and have the wind blow away the guy''s weakness and ignorance along the way, so he becomes a shaman of sorts. A bald, naked shaman.
Advertisement
I remember that one as well. I think it is called simply, the Bird Who Made the Wind, something like that. Except I think the man broke the birds wings, he didn''t kill the bird. Then he had to go back and mend the bird back to health after he realized they needed wind. One of those too much of anything is no good stories.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
I know I''ve read that story, but where...? It''s probably Native American, which probably means it does have a boring title like The Bird that Made the Wind or The Man Who Hated the Wind, or something like that. Sorry I can''t help more.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Hmm. Could be. I''m trying to Google it up, but all I''m getting is modern myths about birds being killed by windmills. Crap.
It''s a Micmac legend. (A northeastern native American tribe). I think the full name is "The Bird Whose Wings Made the Wind"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement