🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can one become a game designer without the hard work?

Started by
4 comments, last by juliangreen 23 years, 11 months ago
I know most game designers must start small, programming their own small games, then finding buddies to do more complex ideas until they can sell their "style" to a company. I''m wondering if anybody has ever heard of an instance where somebody (with no previous "finished" titles) has been hired by a company. I know, the simple answer is no. Everybody and their grandmother has ideas for better games. To really prove your idea, you must show you have the ability to follow through with even the simplest. But....any cases where one can get into the industry the easy way? The reason I ask is because I have plenty of ideas for various types of games, and my programming skill isn''t good enough to complete a game with the amount of free time I have. I''m having a tough time recruiting buddies for such a "pipedream". I''ve played every type of game for the last 16 years, so I have a lot of exposure to the industry from a consumer standpoint. I''m wondering if this "gaming" experience amounts to anything. (yeah, sure, let me guess...."Go work for a gaming magazine reviewing games!"...not my dream). Anybody have any positive words? Julian Green Toronto, Canada
Advertisement
Make bed partners with big wig venture capitalists.
Get in on the ground floor. Jane Jensen of Gabriel Knight got hired by Sierra to write manuals (not do programming) and then they made her a game designer.

You don''t have to start as a programmer. You can be a play tester. Or write dialog. Or little jobs like that. I don''t think *anyone* accept freelance game design proposals (I don''t think anyone even reads them). But if you get a job inside a game company, you might be able to pitch them your ideas from within the company.
quote: Original post by Ack

Get in on the ground floor. Jane Jensen of Gabriel Knight got hired by Sierra to write manuals (not do programming) and then they made her a game designer.

You don''t have to start as a programmer. You can be a play tester. Or write dialog. Or little jobs like that. I don''t think *anyone* accept freelance game design proposals (I don''t think anyone even reads them). But if you get a job inside a game company, you might be able to pitch them your ideas from within the company.

Thanks. Something constructive at least. Finding game studios near my town will be tough, but I''ll hunt around, and see what doors I can get my foot caught in....

Get started in the test department. It''s where APs come from.

Alternately, teach yourself 3dsMAX and become a level designer and work your way up from there.

It must be pointed out that most of the people ultimately responsible for the core game design (aka game designers or lead designers) are the ones with the most seniority and success. Neither one comes quickly or without hard work.

Other than that, the only way I can think of to become a lead designer overnight is to sign the checks yourself. Play the lotto or rob a bank.

$0.02
Amen brotha, amen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement