🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Grim Reaper game

Started by
23 comments, last by wasd 20 years, 3 months ago
I''m designing a game for uni for my course, and was wondering if anyone could give any feedback/ideas for it. I''ve got the initial idea, just wondering if it sounds workable. Basically, you''re the Grim Reaper, and you have to collect souls from dead people. Unfortunately, that''s all I''ve got so far (the idea''s just come to me). I''m trying to think of challenges/things that could stop you (maybe some devil worshipping cult or something). Also, it would need a story, so it''s not just about going round clicking on dead people. Any ideas/suggestions anyone? --------------------------------------- Let''s struggle for our dream of Game! http://andrewporritt.4t.com
Advertisement
Does it include Rebecca Gayheart?
The game could consist of try to claim souls. While overcoming verius kinds of attempts to cheat death. There could be a sole hunting aspect where you have to harvest the correct soul and make sure only the people who are ment to die actuly do die.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Ever heard of Grim Fandango? It''s a game where you play as the grim reaper and...
What about a subgame where you have to try to lure the souls out of people who have flatlined on the operating table?

SketchSoft OFFLINE | SketchNews
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
This could work particulairly well. I think an iteration of the ideas outlined by Piers Anthony in his "Incarnations of Immortality" would be excellent:

http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n0/n4864.htm?authorid=65

This particular title deals with a character who is ''death'' and the method by which he collects souls is pretty interesting and unique. I can''t recommend the series, but that particular title is right up your alley.

Just for kicks, the basic idea is such that death collects souls from the world and lets people die. He''s a good character, because the people are in incredible pain and what-not. None the less, once he removes the soul from the body he uses divides in into "good" and "evil". The sould then either floats up to heaven or sinks to hell depending on the life the person lead.

This could be interesting, with all kinds of puzzles where it''s difficult to harvest souls, or the people (as previously stated) are attempting to trick death. Other puzzles could involve souls that got lost along the way or trapped as ghost, and you have to help them get free.

Just some musings,
-Operators
What about a game full of set pieces, like a guy crossing the road, and you have to nudge him in fron tof a car. Or maybe a guy in the operating theatre and you hae to distract the doctor for long enough for the patient to die. You could have a whole world of things like that. Maybe if a piano is swinging over the pavement, you know that you''ve got to somehow cut the rope to squish someone. Put enough into a world and it may even seem to come alive and not seem so scripted.

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
I think that instead of short missions, you should have long goals of pursuing various people who just refuse to die. This could involve other deaths along the way, but have a story with levels revolving around finding a way to get people to meet their maker.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
I''ve heard tale of an elderly woman who believed she could trick Death. She continually had additional rooms built onto her house, and every night she slept in a different room than the night before. (oddly enough, she lived many years longer than all her relatives)

But this could be tied in with your story. Perhaps "the powers that be" have decided the woman MUST pass on at midnight. So every night Death comes in at 11:55 to take the woman. And if he can''t locate her by midnight, he must try again the following day.
Has anybody ever read Terry Pratchett? Basicly, his Death only ensures that people die. Whatever they believe in affects what happens.

So, how about not only should the player collect the souls, but you also have to figure out what happens. In addition, there could be some religions running around that have some weird ideas about cheating death, and you have to make sure the followers die in such ways that it disproves.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement