🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

genres

Started by
1 comment, last by arka 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi all, Looking through the recent trends in game design, would it be right to infer that the days of specific, genre based games are slowly declining. Yes, most games still conform to a formulaic pattern, but in as much as the effort is to make games as realistic as possible( where realistic may also signify a realistic myth), the focus is shifting to giving priority to the story, and letting that dictate the genre? so this might lead to blended elements of all the classic ''types''. Now I must admit that I am fairly new to hardcore gaming- I am more of a writer who''s now got into game design. So I''d like to know what all you guys think. Logos Incarnatus
Logos Incarnatus
Advertisement
I dunno, it seems (to me anyway) that licensed products are exploding lately. People want to take a tried-and-true game concept and attach instant brand-name recognition to it.
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
you definitely so have a point there, but at the same time there is probably a greater demand for originality than there has been in the past

Logos Incarnatus
Logos Incarnatus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement