🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using dragons in a real-time strategy game

Started by
24 comments, last by Beavt8r 23 years, 11 months ago
You all seem to have this under control, so I''m just going to have a swing at freakshow.

"Authentic" Ummm, dragons aren''t real (note the present tense in case someone dig''s one up tomorrow) Dear Mr Freakshow you appear to be having some trouble telling the difference between you imagination and reality. You appear to have developed a ''wanker'' defect. Please stay on the line and one of our support personal will get to you as soon as possible, To try and help you fix you neck top box.

As Mr Cup always says,
''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
Advertisement
What about start the game of Dune style where you choose your family (of Dragons). Different strengths for different families of dragons etc. It sounds like a very fresh idea for an RTS :-). Good one!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Some more thoughts that I had...

Things to think about:

1) It was already mentioned to have a "family" of dragons. I agree with this. Most games pan out great if there is a definite line between sides. (case in point: C&C had GDI and NOD, Starcraft had Zerg, Protoss, and Terran, etc...) In your case, maybe a pure blood wyrm group? Maybe it''s divided by good and evil. That is something that needs to be balanced out during the game balancing phase but needs to be planned on now.

2) Hehe, Thumbs. hehe. Anyway, it brings up a good point. How does the brood interact with the world? What is the form of "money"? For example, you terrorize a town with your brood. And you have a shapeshifting dragon (common if I recall correctly) that can mix within the town''s people and convince them to offer the dragons certain items (money, maiden''s, etc..). Furthermore, you can use some form of mind control spell that works similar to charm in EQ. Maybe when you get a maiden, you can turn her into a mistress of some sort (trying hard not to steal from Dungeon Keeper)
In any case, the real point of all this is: how does the brood grow? Where do more dragons come from and where do you research the upgrades? Maybe a spawning pool type idea like Starcraft? Who knows. But that is a major part of the game to learn.

3) What are the dragon types and their abilities? How many abilities can a dragon have? Are they static or can the player mix and match them at run-time? For example, can I design a dragon? Maybe take a fire-breathing component and mix it with a chameleon component. Maybe take an ice-breather and mix it with a charm and fear component (once again taking from EQ... namely Vox, tho, I don''t think she charms). A healing dragon? Etc...

4) What are the roles of the broods within the realm? Would it be beneficial for one brood that is labeled a "good" brood to be a defender of a realm while an "evil" brood uses the methods of terrorism and charm and deceit to steal corrupt and destroy the realm? These things are important to know...

5) Since this is dealing with dragons, are their buildings? Or is it simply a cave?

Anyway, thought I''d get some wheels turning.

Enoch
Enoch DagorLead DeveloperDark Sky EntertainmentBeyond Protocol
wow! what great ideas.. thought I would throw a few out as well.. going with the idea of different types of Dragons as well as families of dragons, why not create families of dragons? Basically, depending on which dragons you breed, that will determine the type of dragon that is "created" into the family.. like a Fire Dragon breeding with an Earth Dragon could create a blend of the 2. Basically, you would raise each dragon, then send it off to find its own home, where it would horde gold and terrorize the locals. Multiplayer would rock, as you could breed your dragon with the dragon of one of your friends, creating even new varieties of Dragons, as well as battle your dragon against another...
This idea sounds familiar to me... where have I heard or read about it before? hrm... perhaps this URL might bring back a few memories http://www.lionhead.com ... Ahh! Black and White!...

Nah seriously folks, I''m not dissing the idea but it sounds eerily similar to black and white, where you control a large creature and get it to evolve and the landscape changes to suit your style of play etc. But I reckon if pulled off right it would be cool... the dragon idea that is.

THe things that I would try and include would be the ability of your dragon to grow and develop, or family group to grow and develop. that way over time you might be able to change your brood of black evil dragons to a more happy red fire breathing earth dragons of sorts...

Just throwing ideas at you, sorry if they hurt...

Dæmin
(Dominik Grabiec)
sdgrab@eisa.net.au

CyberPunk RPG
http://www.eisa.net.au/~sdgrab/index.html
Daemin(Dominik Grabiec)
I think an rpg style game with a dragon as the player''s character would be cool. you may be a nice or malicous dragon. you could raid farms and villages, or you could help people out (if they dont kill you first). you could have other monsters too, which you could deal with however you want.

just a thought...

<(o)>
<(o)>
Hey, i don't usually work with this sort of stuff but i have a suggestion. To add realism i would suggest you study different types of current animals, such as dogs (wild) and see they're differences- strengths, weaknesses, what they eat/ when they sleep/ stuff like that...
i think the result would be much more convincing then.

-mike

my ² cents

Edited by - thr33d on July 19, 2000 5:40:48 PM
adastra: Dragonheart as a game? Well, that would be interesting...

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
ya mage, that''s what i was kinda thinkin about. but the game can be expanded a great deal more. and the primary protagonist is the dragon, not the man. the player may be able to hook up with humans though...that might be cool

<(o)>
<(o)>
You might want to check out "Council of Wyrms" boxed set by TSR(wizards of the coast now). Its rules for playing as dragons. I havn''t played it but it might give you some ideas. Only costs about $20 bucks.

ECKILLER
ECKILLER

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement