🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Double Reality

Started by
0 comments, last by Magic Card 20 years, 6 months ago
I had this idea for a game over the summer where you play the part of someone with multiple personalities. The whole game world would change based on the current dominating personality. So some people who were allies would be perceived as enemies and vice versa. The interesting twist, though, would be that the evil personality is in cahoots with the bad guy that the good personality is hunting down. The only problem would be implementing it into the game. I don''t want the player to suddenly change personalities mid way through a level without any explanation. That would just make things too confusing. I''d want the story to progress sort of like in Knights of the Old Republic. Your actions in each personality would determine the outcome of the game. And actions you do that are contradictory to that personality''s regular actions would result in the personality changing to the other one. It needs a lot of work, I know, but it could be incredibly engaging if done correctly. Comments? ----------------------------- A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold... Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment. http://www.danavisiongames.com
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
Advertisement
I had an idea similar to this a couple of years ago. In my version you would start out with one character who had multiple personalities disorder. Then they would develop new personlalities which would become new characters. I was considering whether to make this obvious to the player or to create a Fight Club like twist at the end when I moved on to other things. I still think this is an interesting game mechanic to explore however.
Progress does not consist in replacing a theory that is wrong with one that is right. It consists in replacing a theory that is wrong with one that is more subtly wrong.- Hawkins' Theory of Progress

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement