🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Writting none linear game ?

Started by
0 comments, last by Viquel 20 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I''m not myself a game writter but I wonder how would you write a none linear scenario ? We could imagine that the main story is always the same. For example: It''s the story of a man who lost his family in a war and would avendge her. But from this axis, we could make a lot of path. Our poor man could choose to go to the nearest town to get information or to track the faction who killed his family. So when I tried to writte something a none linear game, I get a lots of different state and could do something like a graph. The problem is that I don''t have any story between states and I can''t write something easily readable. Have you any idea to make a such thing ? Thanks, Viquel.
Advertisement
Well, your best bet is probably a game tree. Just draw a flow-chart, with the beginning at the top, and every time more than one story event is possible, have it branch out. Story paths could converge and diverge as much as you want, and then terminate at a variety of different endings.

It''s a lot of work, of course, because you have to do several games'' worth of writing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement