🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

FreedroidRPG needs writer(s)

Started by
1 comment, last by jprix2 20 years, 4 months ago
Hi guys! Our RPG, freedroidRPG (0.9.10 is the latest version as of writing this) has been critisized repeatedly because of weak storyline and content. FreedroidRPG is free software (GPL) and therefore, even if we honor the work that is done, this is volunteers stuff and will not be paid. Still we would greatly appreciate any help. There is a dialog editor with GUI (works well under Linux, noone ever asked about something else yet...). So if you were looking for something like that anyway, check out freedroid.sourceforge.net and from there you should also be able to find the Sourceforge project page and the download sections and the like. This involves _heavy_ work, possibly taking up *lots* of time. Well, if you''ve taken a look at the project and still interested/wanting to help, you can also send e-mail to our mailing list (freedroid-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net) or check into our IRC channel #freedroid at irc.freenode.net. Well, I hope you forgive that I post this here. It''s only for people interested in writing and story, characters and stuff... See ya, Johannes.
Advertisement
sounds kinda neat, check out my story chunk post if you think my stuffs alright drop me a line.
Yo so like, the script goes on for longer than like 3 pages? Yo guy writing stuff is like, hard.
Thanks for responding. Well, there is a principal problem though.

When we need story for a game, giving us a told story is not really useful. Giving dialogs in a dialog form isn''t very useful either. This is for a computer game, so the dialog can''t be given like that. Well, at least for FreedroidRPG, there must be more of a concept, like some dialog nodes and which dialog options open up with other dialog options or disable dialog options, which is also how dialogs are entered. There is a dialog editor program where you edit dialog nodes, make arrows from some dialog nodes to other nodes to open and close them, that sort of thing. In a game, after all, you can''t completely control the flow of any dialog. So there must be some kind of flowchart.

And for a general concept, it would be similar. Which are the groups that play a role in the story. Which are the stages of the story. Which are the subquests. Which are the different possible solutions to each subquest, like more violence, more talking. And then there is also the question whether the story even with a given concept can be told inside a game (without relying too much on video sequences and making it all into a predefined film with determined outcome anyway) with the current means of the game. And then, (wishful thinking) it would be good of course if the story somewhat matched with what we have already. Though that can be changed of course, if the new approach is worth it.

Well, I''m not into any writing myself, much less for games, so maybe I got some things wrong. But at least in the case of our game, the concept and dialogs really would have to look like that to be useful. But of course your story might be fine and a good story as a written story. I didn''t look at the details though, because in that form it doesn''t apply anyway. But thanks that you bothered to reply at all.

See ya, Johannes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement