🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Xonnel Giants Demo

Started by
9 comments, last by lxnyce 23 years, 11 months ago
Here is my demo. Stop by the page, download the demo and give me feedback. Here is a screenshot since you probably want one.
Advertisement
Stupid me left out the link to my homepage. DUHHHHHHHHH!

Here is my demo. Stop by the page, download the demo and give me feedback. Here is a screenshot since you probably want one. Click on it to go to my page.

Sorry, didn''t have time to look it over, but what was it done with?

D3D, OpenGL, ?
It''s done in d3d. Just pick up the readme.txt under features on the site for alot of feature details.
Those screenshots look awesome! Keep up the good work!

Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
The guys'' artwork and animation are very nice. The bridges, however, were an ugly yellow and blue; they didn''t have the brick texture I see in your shots.

Your LOD system needs work, I think. Peaks appear very abruptly as you approach. Also, even with very near terrain, LOD adjustment caused very sudden, noticable lighting/shading changes. Also, I saw occasional artifacts with distant terrain: empty cracks appeared w/ the skybox showing thru.

The tornado was pretty cool, and the rain reminded me of that Skittles commercial When I enabled "loadvoxdat( "test1.pcx", "terragen6.lgt", 257, 257, 1 );" or the other pcx files, though, the demo quit during startup.

I got about 30 fps at 640x480x16 (everything else was default) on my P733 w/ GeForce2.
Very impressive! Are you planning to make this a commercial product? Because if so I''d be more then interesting in discussing possibilities with you for a publishing arrangement.

I hope you''re interested and please feel free to drop me a line on alexdv@nutridata.com for more details on our offer.

Take care,

Alex de Vries
President and CEO
Crystal Interactive (Europe) B.V.
"A Nutridata Company"
http://www.crystal-interactive.com

Offices: Long Beach (U.S.A.), Assen (The Netherlands), Hertford (U.K.), Seoul (Korea), Saitama (Japan), Madrid (Spain)
Everything looked good, just ran at about 1-6 fps when I looked at the giant monster, 10-18, around soldiers, and 18-25 When the character was alone. I had it on a 800x600 resolution. On a 640x480 resolution, it ran faster, but got darker on my dark monitor.

My computer: Pentium 166 MHz, Voodoo 2 1000 PCI, 48MB RAM.

The visuals were great! Texture quality was impressive.
Thx alot Eric and Deshawn. I really appreciate the criticism. Let me address some of the problems.
The guy is a regular quake 2 model just interpolated frame movement. I would like to use hierarchical models, but they are not easy to come across. I don''t know why the bridge came out to that color, but with your help I can fix it. Just mail me. I know my lod system needs work, what you are witnessing was only one night after re-coding my distance based algorithm into something of a geomorph algorithm. Rest assured that once I fix it up, it will be smooth and crackless. As for the lighting changes, they are unavoidable with gourad shading, I might have to turn the whole thing over into a lightmap rendered terrain, but there are some workarounds however since I really don''t want to give up the memory. The loadvoxdat command didn''t work for you because it was just an example to show you how to import your own lightmaps. There is no test1.pcx in the directory otherwise it would have loaded it and created the lgt file to display. P733 w/ GeForce2 and only 30 fps, look for that to double or higher once I put in the simple optimizations. Hey Deshawn, it''s amazing what hardware accelerators can do for you, cause I have a celeron 400, with a voodoo banshee and your 166 gets almost the same results as mine. Thx for testing the demo out for me. I am working on a ton of new features that will hopefully grab your attention even quicker. Sorry about the level by the way, I am not very good at creating levels.
Thanks. I think the level looked quite detailed. I did see 2 things, that I bet you can fix:

1. When the player walked off the edge map, he did fall, but didn''t die.
2. When the player walks up a hill, his feet sometimes go into it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement