🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Forget plot!

Started by
9 comments, last by Ketchaval 20 years, 3 months ago
It seems like nowadays so many games are focussed on plot, and the player''s role is to get to the end of the game as soon as possible. There is a role for plot in many games, but at the same time aren''t there many games where there is room for less plot. If the gameplay is fun, why have a plot that gets determines how many levels and how many objectives the player needs to complete. Does minesweeper need a plot? Does Mario need a plot? But at the same time the introduction of even a little bit of story and player motivation can make games feel cooler in some ways. Ie. When I saw Mario I was like wow a platform game, with a goal! Good link http://www.gamestudies.org/0302/frasca/
Advertisement
I agree. Not that I wouldn't like good plots in games but I feel that plots should be written to support the game instead of making the game with the sole purpose to deliver a predefined, linear story.

Also, the plots in computer games are often quite awful.

[edited by - A_Borellus on February 29, 2004 4:41:04 PM]
I agree. However, Quake 3 has one of the deeper plots you will find in a pc game(wink, wink). You should try it out!I love a good RPG with a great story, too. However, I agree that a too linear storyline DOES get in the way of gameplay. I like RPG's that allow you to check out cool optional side stories and things like that. The hard thing to do when making great games is finding a good balance between drawing the player in ( story ), and at the same time letting him let loose in the world ( checking out the elders(lol), all the side stories, etc. ) Oh wait, I am talking about only one genre! Damn! But anyway, I loved the 2D Oddworld games because of the great story and the gameplay too! On the other side, you have the above-mentioned Quake 3 game and others like CS and Everquest where you just go crazy and collect cool stuff-- if you hear of something happening in the game, it is mainly no major deal, gameplay-wise. Ok, I will stop now, heh! Take care!

[edited by - Sluginator on March 4, 2004 3:44:51 AM]
Basically, there is a infinite or practically infinite set of things, that includes things such as pluto and quicksort and special relativity, and fart of ant in some specific hive.-Dmytry
quote: Original post by Ketchaval
It seems like nowadays so many games are focussed on plot, and the player''s role is to get to the end of the game as soon as possible. There is a role for plot in many games, but at the same time aren''t there many games where there is room for less plot. If the gameplay is fun, why have a plot that gets determines how many levels and how many objectives the player needs to complete.

Does minesweeper need a plot? Does Mario need a plot?
But at the same time the introduction of even a little bit of story and player motivation can make games feel cooler in some ways. Ie. When I saw Mario I was like wow a platform game, with a goal!

Good link
http://www.gamestudies.org/0302/frasca/
which modern game are you talking about that''s making you draw such a conclusion..
Only game I can think of which needed less of a plot was GTA3.. but I can''t think of much else..

quote: Original post by eedok
which modern game ...

Only game I can think of which needed less of a plot was GTA3.. but I can''t think of much else..

Metal Gear Solid 2, 15 min + cinematics = bad.
On the other hand I feel that GTA3 needed more plot! I''d have loved the missions to lead to something and influence each other more, it would have made me feel as though I was doing something slightly more ''worthwhile'' (yeah right! haha)than just doing random mission x or y. it would have been a cool pay-off, as would more in-game goodies.
quote: Original post by Ketchaval
It seems like nowadays so many games are focussed on plot, and the player''s role is to get to the end of the game as soon as possible. There is a role for plot in many games, but at the same time aren''t there many games where there is room for less plot. If the gameplay is fun, why have a plot that gets determines how many levels and how many objectives the player needs to complete.

Does minesweeper need a plot? Does Mario need a plot?
But at the same time the introduction of even a little bit of story and player motivation can make games feel cooler in some ways. Ie. When I saw Mario I was like wow a platform game, with a goal!

Good link
http://www.gamestudies.org/0302/frasca/

What kind of crap is that? Games focused on plot? What the heck are you talking about? As far as I can see, most games are totally lacking a decent plot - even RPGs like Morrowind.
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
quote: What kind of crap is that? Games focused on plot? What the heck are you talking about? As far as I can see, most games are totally lacking a decent plot - even RPGs like Morrowind.
Couple this with what the OP said about games being too focussed on plot, and where does this take you? Modern games are crap!

Basically they need to be less focussed on plot, but what plot there *is* should be much deeper and more intriguing... I''d go with that.
I feel that the need for a plot should depend on the genre of game as well its intent and style. Third person shooter games could use a little plot, just enough to keep a sense of action beyond the shooting and dying itself while RPG or strategy games should be designed with a plot. Without a plot or story, the goals and purposes of a game are lost within mediocre graphics and sound. A plot is what will drive the decisions of many players within a game, “…should I continue through that corridor and allow my team mates to die because I didn’t watch their six, or should I wait here until I have disabled our opponents behind us.” Something that also places people in moral dilemmas assists in the importance of actions committed by many players; it creates purpose. I personally enjoy having a reason to complete a task or fulfill all level requirements; however, I do agree that having a list that is not dynamic and must be completed in order to finish the level may create a boring game. Sometimes it’s best to have an ultimate goals and bonus achievements that enhance the story and game play.

Jeff CalesCo—FounderBig Dice Gamesbig_dice_games@hotmail.com
I wonder what type of games could be made without predefined plot, other than the usual puzzle etc.

Nethack is a rpg and does not have a predefined plot. Adventure games? IF? It's actually refreshing to think about it, but how to keep things interesting?

[edited by - A_Borellus on March 8, 2004 10:54:19 AM]
Well i think some game are lacking in plot but that doesnt mean that they are bad games.
Same for games that have bigger plots and less gameplay.
There just somthing that people come up with to bring a smile to lots of people and keep them occupied for a few hours.
As for me I am starting a new plot for a game (Think 8Mile + Vampire Human-Lion Hybrids) You can check it out if you like.
It is called BloodLion''s: Vampire Evolution EX.
Put in a good word please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU BETTER TAPE THIS KIDDIES WE GOT ALL YOUR FAVORITES!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement