🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A Discussion on a Script Format for Interactive Media

Started by
0 comments, last by Rayno 20 years, 3 months ago
Right here is a disscussion on screenplay formats. I'm interested in a format for interactive dialoge. This isn't anything new, but there doesn't seem to be any standard. Searching for ideas I came across this. Where hyperlinks are used to symbolize choices. The advantage of this approach is that it requires no special software besides a browser. More complicated approaches would be flow charts, which would be nearly impossible to maintain without special software. This would give a good idea of the flow though. So I would like input. If you have written a script, I'd like to know how you did it. I am considering writing software that would easy creation of branching dialog, and I want to know if this is something you would be interested in, or if something like this already exists. Thanks. [edited by - Rayno on March 11, 2004 4:31:48 AM]
Advertisement
I''ve never written one, but the implementation seems simple enough that it''s a no-brainer to write up a new format. ie:

*introduction:
Hello my name is Bob.
:Tell me more about yourself:more info:
:Thank you, how nice:thanks:
:Hey, I don''t want to talk to you!:EXIT:

*more info:
I''m 21 years old.
:Well that was helpfull, Bye!:EXIT:

Would you like more info about me?
:Yes:more info:
:No:EXIT:

Or is interactive dialog more complex then that? If dialog from one person leads to dialog with another, then name the links something like, "bob_thanks" and "sue_shut up".

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement