🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Persuading characters to mate

Started by
4 comments, last by XMark 20 years, 3 months ago
Running into a strange problem. The game I''m working on is the remake of The ARC Legacy (an old QB game I made). In the old game there was a pretty badly written love story between two of the main characters: Rydar and Kalrin. Basically they were already in love at the start of the game so it wasn''t very interesting. In the remake I''m re-writing it so they just meet near the beginning of the game, but I''m finding that they really don''t have much in common and I''m questioning whether a love story subplot is really necessary for the game. Furthermore, I''m beginning to think that she is a much better match with Bokk, the main character. (Rydar was the main character in the original, but looking back at the original''s story, Bokk is the only one with any interesting character development at all so I''m focusing more on him this time around) Now, I''m wondering if I should a) Scrap the love story altogether. It''s a bleak, post-apocalyptic world, with no time for silly fairy-tale romances. b) Try to get Kalrin and Rydar together. It''ll keep the game true to the original. c) Try to get Kalrin and Bokk together. They''re on opposite sides of the Pruthe/Zydnia war at the beginning so it''s Romeo and Juliet style! d) Have both guys fall in love with her and get some jealousy-fueled conflict within the party. Not sure who, if anyone, ends up with her. Mark Hall Abstract Productions
Advertisement
If Bokk''s the new main character _and_ he seems like a better match for her, I''d go with him. In a bleak setting the silly love story probably serves important purposes like:
- making the bleakness seam more bleak by contrast and more dangerous because it threatens the fragile little thread of happiness
- showing that individual human dreams still occurr despite the surroundings (because if they didn''t, the heart and soul of the race would be dead and there''d be nothing left to tell a story about).
- if you have a happy ending, showing that there''s a possibility of regeneration for the world

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I generally prefer to have the love stories played out in non-main characters. Having my main character getting seriously dedicated to something besides the task at hand is a distraction. I want him/her to be as single-mindedly committed to finishing the game as I am. However, a temporary tangent of romance, eventually terminated by knuckling down on the quest and having an ally there to finish the love story while the hero focuses on saving the world might be just the ticket.

I say have the jealousy and tension, but in the end have Bokk bow out of the competition and leave Kalrin and Rydar together. Like when Luke Skywalker and Han Solo were kind of competing for Leia, but at the end Luke just stopped competing (Sure, he found out they were siblings, but that''s not necessary. Just training for Jedihood might have been enough.).
Kalrin and Bokk fall in love, things seem very nice for a bit. However Rydar is a good, solid young man. Karin doesn´t love him, but things are, as you say bleak. In the end Kalrin does the expedient thing and choses Rydar. Sure she and Bokk are broken hearted, but that´s life. And it gives you good opportunity to stress the unpleasant choices each character is facing.
Go with "jealousy filled conflict". Love will always be an issue no matter what time period it is, and jealousy spices things up instead of just having a boring "fairy tale" love story.
David A. Nusse
e) Rydar and Bokk fall in love, and Kalrin kills them both in a fit of jealousy, taking over as main character.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement