🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Realistic Games?

Started by
6 comments, last by Lynck 23 years, 10 months ago
Ok, i''ve been playing LOTS of games lately, and i have noticed something. Barely any games include a character who EATS FOOD! I mean, i am playing a game that there is day-night cycling, but after like 5 days, the main character is still as energetic as the beginning, but he has had no sleep, food, or drinks. It is like all the characters are robots that do not require the things that keep em living. So, what do YOU like better? Realistic Games, or these ones where the character can run around without any water in his body, and survive? Reply with any thoughts you have on this subject.
Advertisement
Play The Sims The other response would be that eating food would become partially a pain after a while especially for AD people who play for a quick fix. However.. I didn''t mind having to get food in Darkstone since it presented more of what I was used to playing since D&D (the original blue book and green ''Keep'' quest book that came with it). Those were the days.
Ok, before dwarfsoft gets in the obligatory plug 8P, here's the address to his site, where there's a great document dedicated to innovations like this in RPG's. Check the link labelled "DOC- The Future of RPG's" There's a nice section on this very topic therein:

http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/

dwarfsoft- do i get commision?

Edited by - Anonymous Poster. on August 18, 2000 11:52:55 AM
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
It all depends. IMO, the realism is kind of irrelevant unless you''re making a sim. (Pacman still kicks!) I get really aggrevated at the way bodily functions are handled in the majority of games. Realism does give players a solid point of reference, but woe betide the game designer who claims his game is "realistic"! You are going to have players whining left and right that you "left this out" or the metabolic rates are just wrong for a dwarf. :p Yet no-one seems to bitch that Pacman leaves no little PackyPoos.
People tend to forget that ultra-realism isn''t necessarily fun. During the development cycle of Soldier of Fortune, there were a lot of requests for "Realistic deaths." They wanted things such as blood loss and fatigue accurately depicted in the game. Does it make the game more realistic? I guess. But who wants to lay on the ground, bleeding to death for five minutes before you can respawn?
What bothers me is that in the games where you do need food, your character never has to take a shit.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
I stand corrected. Some people like PackyPoos. *shrug*
you have to sleep in Baldur's Gate. If you dont then your attacks are greatly reduced from fatigue. And your other party members will eventually leave you. I purposefully didnt sleep just so I could see what would happen
But I quickly got tired of hearing Jahera say, "Enough waking hours slave driver !"

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

Edited by - ncsu121978 on August 18, 2000 2:36:19 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement