🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I wanna make a Street Fighter game . . .

Started by
4 comments, last by Dinny 23 years, 10 months ago
. . . but I''ve got no idea how to design the engine. Can anyone help?
Advertisement
i would help
if it is a paying job ?
Basically you need to load a scrolling background, define the area within which the players move. Then with the players you need quite complex data structures for all the different moves. You need quite precise collision detection as well.

------------------------------
#pragma twice

sharewaregames.20m.com

Hi, I think it''s not as complicated as the furby dude made it out to be. I have a fully working beat-em-up engine, minus one thing most commonly seen in beat-em-ups; the background doesn''t scroll. However this should prove to be a fairly simple extension. It does include some serious keyboard input analysing for combo moves etc, and a fairly complex sprite engine, etc, etc. If you want it to base your work on or to just look at then e-mail me (rahul@razors.org) and I will reply with it attached.
r.

"The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the slightest possibility of traversing the eternal wasteland that is my mind..."
Nope, it ain''t a paying job.

To furby100:

I''m a newbie at game programming so you''ll have to bear with me.

The problem is I can''t get the background to scroll smoothly or fast enough. I''ve ensured that all my buffers are in VRAM.

Where can I get some info, or an article, or some demo code on how to implement such a background? Or any smooth and fast scrolling would do, actually.

Thanx
It should be failry simple, first for collision detection use pixel collision (I forget the correct name for it right now). Then set up some layers ("screens" or what ever you want to call the sets of memory that will be drawn onto the screen. Here are the layers I would have:
Layer1 Put the players and flames that they throw or what ever here
Layer2 The ground and foreground
Layer3 A back ground layer, also throw everything onto this before you send it to the monitor

You could add more layers, but that is really all you need. You would then make each layer black (or whatever your transparent color is going to be), and then add you stuff onto each layer. Then copy layer 2 onto 3, layer 1 onto 3, and then 3 onto the screen.
Also get a real good Input engine, don''t use the stuff you learned for doing Visual C++ programming, use DirectInput or something. Speed is key to a game like this, and constant speed, so use timers.
Well, that is the basics of the engine, so get to work!

-piksel
Piper's games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement