🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Please take a look

Started by
9 comments, last by runemaster 23 years, 9 months ago
I just finished (kind of) the site for the adventure/RPG I''m working on (with Znipper).Could you please take a look and tell me what you think ? How does the background look ? Click here, please please please please Runemaster Join the Game Developers RuneRing ! The Specular Lightosis Research Fund This is a message from God: "Rebooting the universe, please log off."
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Advertisement
ugh, i hate frames
the background looks pretty good, but ugh if your gonna have frames at least put resizable=no i think it is, so you dont get that great big long yellow bar thing down the middle

and crosswinds is extremely slow

oh and
put border=0 in the < img > tag for the menu
it will look much better

and you might wanna change in the body tag
< BODY .. bla bla LINK=colour ALINK=colour VLINK=colour >

so it doesn''t show up blue + purple.. cuz its hard to see on the background

I was going to say the same exact things that Quantum said. Except about frames, since I think they can be done well, or very poorly, depends upon the occasion
Ok, first, a kinda lame suggestion: use the Arial font, because that's what everyone is using now -- Times New Roman is SO early 90's

I think the way you're using frames is just fine, but in addition to what's been said about the resize bar, I also suggest you pick a discrete pixel width for the nav frame, instead of using "20%" (like COLS="100,*"). It looks a little too wide now at 1024x768, and I imagine it is too narrow at 640x480.

The main text would be easier to read if it were in a more compact column, instead of sprawling across the entire main frame -- look into tables (<table...>) if you're not yet familiar with 'em.

The background image is pretty

Edited by - Eric on September 7, 2000 12:36:07 AM
thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into changing some stuff as soon as I have the time

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !
The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
This is a message from God: "Rebooting the universe, please log off."

Edited by - runemaster on September 8, 2000 9:18:28 AM
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Yes,i think you should set the border width to 0.

OK Eric,i wouldn''t use Times New Roman,but...Arial ?
I prefer Times New Roman from Arial.

But i suggest Verdana.It is the best ''common'' font.
THE best.

And about crosswinds:
It may be slow but tell me another more credible site with no ads and unlimited web space!

Anyway rune ,i think your site needs better choice of color combinations.The ''Athalon'' banner is too dark.
Also i would suggest using style sheets.You can do beautiful things with them!

Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
What are you developing in? Just curious really. You said that you needed the VB runtime files, so I''m assuming that means you''re using DX7 in VB. Let me know :-)

-=xelius=-
-------------------"Pointer?" -Anonymous-=Xelius=-
I''m using Vb (yep, you got that right) but not DirextX, at least not yet.I''m doing the graphics with Simply 3D 3 (which is not so simple at all, it''s quite powerful) and CorelDREAM 8.
I find that combination to be explosive - fast programming (it''s VB, after all) and fast graphics creation - I''m about 30% done, and it took only about three days (the rest of time I was re-writing some background stuff).
Hmm, actually I was going to use DirectX for sound (MIDI, I thought) but now we switched to MP3 .
I am possibly going to use DirectX for my World X engine, although I guess that would mean rewriting lots of code.
Thanks again for the feedback !

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !
The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
This is a message from God: "Rebooting the universe, please log off."
Oh, cool.. Looks very good. I was surprised to see that. It''s very cool.

-=xelius=-
-------------------"Pointer?" -Anonymous-=Xelius=-
I use spaceports. It''s reasonably fast and offers a cgi-bin! The only downside is a banner ad that pops up on every page, but it''s not that hard to deal with. At least they''ll pay you 10 cents for every click on the banner. Check it out @ www.spaceports.com

My Geekcode: "GCS d s: a14 C++$ P+(++) L+ E-- W+++$ K- w++(+++) O---- M-- Y-- PGP- t X
R- tv+ b++ DI+(+++) D- G e* h!"
Decode my geekcode!
Geekcode.com

Visit our web site:
Asylum Entertainment
My Geekcode: "GCS d s: a14 C++$ P+(++) L+ E-- W+++$ K- w++(+++) O---- M-- Y-- PGP- t XR- tv+ b++ DI+(+++) D- G e* h!"Decode my geekcode!Geekcode.com
Visit our web site:Asylum Entertainment

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement