🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

References

Started by
1 comment, last by Agent1 20 years, 7 months ago
What do you think about including references or parodies (parodies might not work as well...)? Should it be done in a subtle way so that anyone who knows about it will understand? This will keep the player/reader from feeling stupid and they really won''t miss much. On the other hand, you could make it very obvious and... well... I don''t nkow what to say about that one What do you think?
-Agent1
Operator: You have a telegram. Encrypted Transmission from Agent1, sent Wed Sep 6, 2000 7:38 PM: Agent1: *Speeds through section on Message Loops* Agent1: Soon I'll be using Property Sheets! :) Byte Me: *been using them since he was a wee lad* [art]: Take it out, then shove it in a day or two. [art]: *Operates on his brains.
Advertisement
This is a matter of pesonal taste. If you''re making something for public consuption, it''s up to you to make sure the audience gets what they want/need out of it. If you want to throw in your own references just to get your jollies, feel free; but remember that whenever you depend on prerequisite knowledge for understanding, you will confuse SOMEONE.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Baulders Gate had many Monty Python references, and the SNES game Donky Kong Country 3 had references to ABBA (I am convinced I am one of a very small minority to have cought the joke). References are cool, and if you don''t get them, then you don''t get them. Personally, I love seeing games that have references, because sometimes they encourage me to see what they are if I am not familiar with what is referenced, and I almost always chuckle when I see something I know.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement