Advertisement

If designers were more like scientists...

Started by January 22, 2001 02:08 AM
12 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 7 months ago
Paul,
Yes, it is sad but very true.

Have you checked out what Wav suggested "http://www.drengin.net" ?

http://www15.brinkster.com/nazrix/main.html

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Nazrix, yes i have but i just realised that i forgot to add it to my favourites/gamedevelopment folder. Thanks for the link again, all fixed now Cheers. But about dregin.net, do you think it will work really? I does sound like a good idea but it just comes across a little half cooked. They should be talking up more about having other developers making games with them too but they don''t.

A designer doesnt need to know everything about code, they just have to have an appreciation for its limitations and how those limitations affect features they may wish to include in their design. - Drew
Advertisement
Yes, agreed, Paul. I found that odd too. I really wanted to hear about the opportunities for developers as much as for gamers. I did read they did this same idea w/ non-game utilities, and it worked very well. If nothing else, I appreciate their attention to the lack of creativity in the game industry and are trying ot do something about it. I suppose time will tell how well it works

http://www15.brinkster.com/nazrix/main.html

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Scientists openly share their ideas AFTER they have received credit for them. The amount of secrecy while research is going on is quite staggering. The reason for this is obvious: most researchers are working towards a degree (PhD) or trying to garner publications for status/pay rise. You cannot publish an idea that someone else has already published, so unless you are the first, your work is worthless. After you have published, however, the research is automatically common knowledge, and you''re free to discuss it with other people. Note that most of the time the discussion is limited to how it works NOW, as opposed to how you see it working in the future, because more publications could be milked out of the same topic (future work etc.)

It works the same way in the games industry. A great game is no longer a secret when it comes out. That''s all the idea-sharing you need, looking at a great game, and perhaps discussing it with the people who wrote it to find out exactly how they did it. They may be willing to share (if no future products depend on the technology) or they may not. They have to earn their living too. There''s absolutely nothing irrational about it.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement