🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to run a C-S on a LAN with 'invalid' IP address?

Started by
2 comments, last by haigu 23 years, 4 months ago
I''m making my networked game and want to test it on a LAN. In our LAN we use ''invalid'' IP addresses such as ''192.168.0.1''. Now suppose my machine is ''192.168.0.1'' and another machine is ''192.168.0.2'' It is all very well if I connect to ''.0.1'', or my local machine. But if i connect to ''.0.2'', the remote one, I get an WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL error, when calling bind() function. How to solve this problem ?
Ò»½«¹¦³ÉÍò¹Ç¿Ý
Advertisement
bind() doesn''t connect to another machine, it specifies which interface on the local machine you want to send packets through.
I''m using TCP to bring up a UDP ''connection''. Because that the outgoing interface is determined when sending the first UDP packet if the socket is not bound, so I want to bind it, and tell the server which interface the client''s UDP socket is using.
And there came my problem. The bind() function returns error.
Ò»½«¹¦³ÉÍò¹Ç¿Ý
Do a little test for me... call bind passing INADDR_ANY for sin_addr. Using that, the computer will use it''s routing table to determine which interface to send packets through.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement