🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

someone please tell me what this means?

Started by
15 comments, last by kalldrex 23 years, 4 months ago
WEll acraig that didn''t work. I entered:

char *username_buf= new char[25];
char *password_buf= new char[25];

and when i run the app it hangs at the beginning. Any ideas on what i did wrong?

p.s. i just changed char *username_buf=NULL to that same with the password one!
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!!
Advertisement
quote: Original post by kalldrex
and when i run the app it hangs at the beginning. Any ideas on what i did wrong?

Are you sure that it''s hanging or is it just waiting to receivce data? Are you sending stuff to this sockect?

Quote from the webpage:

"If no incoming data is available at the socket, the recv() call waits for data to arrive unless the socket is non-blocking."

-------
Andrew
No i''m not trying to send data but look at my code and you will see it should say "testing" before it starts recieving data!
Yeap. When I compile and run your code it works fine on my machine. Your best bet is to break out the debugger and try and see where it is stopping.

-------
Andrew
IT works for you with the char *username=new char[25];?
I don''t like this!
you should do either

// pointer a string, similar to i.e. PChar or LPSTR
char * namebuf = new * char;

or

// array of 25 chars
char namebuf[25];

but the one you used is not such a good idea since, I think, it could cause improper stack handling (that''d be the reason why it locks up right at the beginning)
well if I''m totally wrong here plz tell me

HTH
pi~
Jan PieczkowskiBrainwave Studios
Um i've done some testing and the program hangs once it sees the buffer initialization with the "= new char;" on it! that's causing it to hang but without it it keeps giving me that WSAEFAULT (error code 10014)

Edited by - kalldrex on February 20, 2001 9:40:38 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement