Advertisement

NPCs (La la la)

Started by March 21, 2001 12:57 AM
22 comments, last by morfe 23 years, 5 months ago
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

What do you mean? You could control all the vehicles in both Syndicate & Syndicate Wars.

I loved the Battletanks, and the APCs got me through so many tough situations.

? Whaaa!?! That''s what I get for not playing enough! I never finished, and I was ALWAYS on foot! :\

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Well, duh.
Everyone knows that you get smarter, stronger, and more important by changing the color of your hat (shoes, etc).

I expect there''s an shop for NPCs somewhere that handles this.
The downside to the change is that you keep getting pestered by all these adventurers....

Advertisement
I''m kinda new to coding still, but couldn''t you use friend functions in a class, to make certain things dependant on anything special... maybe an NPC''s name could be dependant on the location on a map, as names are different around the world. Or age/appearance could depend on life expectancy in that area. Is that possible? I dunno how to do that...
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Well, duh.
Everyone knows that you get smarter, stronger, and more important by changing the color of your hat (shoes, etc).

Oh, ha ha.

1. The class was for Minor NPCs, and Int, Str & Chr are almost irrelevant.

2. It was eye, hair & skin color, which determine race.

3. I forgot gender. Oops.

4. Int, Str, Dex, etc. CAN be calculated from that, when you include the occupation. This is a case where stereotyping is a good thing, since you can have a base set of stats for each gender in each occupation. Eg, you''re not going to find a weak Blacksmith, or a stupid Librarian.

5. Where the NPC lives (if you have that much complexity) can be determined like so : their appearance and their occupation determine which sector of the city they live in. Their unique ID references the house. By only have to record coords in a sector rather than the whole city/area, you save a lot of space, and can have more NPCs.

quote:
I''m kinda new to coding still, but couldn''t you use friend functions in a class, to make certain things dependant on anything special...

Friend is evil, avoid using it. You''ll learn this down the line (since you''re new), but learn it quick

quote: ? Whaaa!?! That''s what I get for not playing enough! I never finished, and I was ALWAYS on foot! :\

That''s probably why you never finished. IIRC, a couple of missions required you to steal a flying car to get to a part of the map, or steal a normal vehicle to get through some of the gates. At any rate, some vehicles had weapons on them too (Battletank = missiles, flying car = laser).

I still play that game, but I too would like someone to create a fan version with better AI. Leave everything else alone, and just make way better AI - especially for the enemy agents.

Before I go, I remember one story about how when Syndicate was first play-tested by outsiders, they had women with babies and dogs as civilians in the game. People objected to the dogs getting killed much more than the babies. In the end, they decided they had better take out both ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement