🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What program and how should I write a script for an RPG?

Started by
1 comment, last by Pete Michaud 14 years, 5 months ago
I've already written about 25% of my script for an RPG in MS Word and thought I better check if this is a good idea before I go even further with it (I'm going to redo what I've done anyhow). My format is as follows: Chapter 3 This text represents actions such as what characters will do between dialogue or directions that describe what the player has to do in order to get to this point CHARACTER #1 "This is the dialogue, what the character will say" CHARACTER #2 "This is the dialogue, what the character will say" CHARACTER #1 1. "Here the character has a choice, indicated by the numbers in front of text" 2. "The choice can change what happens later or change what the response will be only" 1. If you chose 1 ......... 2. Or if you chose 2 .......... And it goes on like that. I segment it into chapters for tracking only so I can go find a peice of the script easier. I'm only writing the main story script and the side missions (that don't effect the story) as a seperate document, not all the small talk with the townspeople. Is this alright? The only problem I am having is what if the player should choose to have a different party of characters? Then that will change everything. My bandaid solution is to, from the point where you can choose your party, to just have a set of 4 characters that are in the 'assumed' party for script purposes. Or should I use something like this: http://www.chat-mapper.com At the end of the day I want to have something that is usable for a game but I also want something that is easy to read by whoever might pick it up, a nice easy reading format for the main linear plot of the game.
redcloud@adam.com.auSODALIS looking for talented and dedicated tileset and sprite artists. www.sodalisrpg.com
Advertisement
Note: I've never actually written a script so I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

You could keep using word and try doing the old "choose your own adventure" approach and each option just links to another page (or section, etc.) and also have a link back in the other direction, ie. how can I get here (could get messy though). Also to make it easier to read electronically have these as links you can ctrl+click to go straight there.
Read through this thread, there's a program called Chat Mapper you might want to look at:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=553324

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement