🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

help plz?

Started by
3 comments, last by mad_hatter 22 years, 9 months ago
Hi all.I have been trying to learn c++ for a long time now and i dont get it.I cant afford to buy books.So i could use some help plz. thanks-mad_hatter
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=60034
Hey dont get your hopes up with this reply I am going through the same thing that you are my friend. I figured that since we are looking for the same thing that there was no need to add another post and draw attention away from yours.

I know that everyone here is busy trying to become better programmers, and believe me I have the same goals its just that I have always been a better hands on learner when it came to computer stuff so I was hoping that maybe someone had some time to help me out maybe like a mentor or something. I''m not completely clueless but I just feel like I need a push in the right direction when it comes to all the different things that go into a game besides programming. Is there ANYONE here who would be willing to help me?? I am a very quick learner.

Hey mad hatter I know that there are a few C++ books online like teach yourself C++ in 21 days is at informit.com if you havent looked at it already.

"True knowledge cannot be that which narrows the mind"
"True knowledge cannot be that which narrows the mind"
Learn from the internet..

its a bit longer, but there are some tutorials on the
net. just search with google or some other good search engine..

there are plenty of sites dedicated to C++ programming which
have simple tutorials you can follow ..

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }
quote: Original post by mad_hatter
Hi all.I have been trying to learn c++ for a long time now and i dont get it.I cant afford to buy books.So i could use some help plz.
thanks-mad_hatter

I don''t know your programming background so keep this in mind when reading my opinion. Perhaps maybe you should try learning a different language like BASIC for example? When you say you don''t get it, what is it you don''t get? Language constructs? Programming paradigms? Logic?

Basically, and you can find many people that want to argue against my point I''m sure, is that any language used to program has basic principles that cary over from one language to the next. Boolean logic, assignment, etc. Whatever your situation is it sounds like you skipped some fundamentals. I''d suggest you slow down, start over, and don''t set yourself up for this kind of frustration by cutting corners. Anything worth doing usually takes hard work and effort...

[bad moderator rant]
By the way, I have little sympathy for people saying that can''t afford books. Regardless of whether you have a full library or a single "users guide" that came with a TRaSh 80, you learn by hacking. All the reading in the world won''t help if you don''t sit down and tinker with ideas. That combined with the access to the internet, well, the excuse is just kind of lame.
[/bad moderator rant]

Just slow down and don''t pace yourself too hard.

YAP-YFIO

-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement